asus m2n-sli
amd 9850 quad core
8 gigs of OCZ ram (4 x 2 gigs)
2 WD caviar black hd 200 gig in raid for xp
2 WD caviar black hd 750 gig in raid for vista 64
silverstone strider 850W PSU
and a 9800 evga
no OCing and more than enough cooling

last week my GF was playing WOW on it and it froze, the colors got all acid trippy, and it blue screened. unfortunately she didnt write the error message down and it restarted on its own.
she turned it off and told me about it when i got home. i checked event veiwer and told me there was an error, 116 i believe, that indicated a potential display driver problem (yes, i was too stupid to write this error number down). i updated the display driver from the manufacturer's website, then rebooted.
this time i saw $ symbols all over the screen before the bios splash screen. it got to the loading windows screen, then reset itself. it now resets itself everytime it gets that far. i cannot hit F8 for safe mode, it continues on to the standard loading windows screen and resets. if i go into bios the $ are there as well and where the land on a word or number, they change the value displayed there to something else.
i am leaning towards this being a failing video card, first off because its the only thing out of warranty, but am willing to check anything else suggested.

This certainly sounds like artifacting which can mean that a) the card is overheating; check the fan, or b) the card is dying and no amount of driver updates will fix it.

But before determing if B is the correct option please a) physically uninstall the card from the motherboard and reseat; make sure the power pins are set correctly and b) do the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; leave the other drivers in the list alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

thanks for the reply.

overheating is not an issue, i hope. i have 2 120 fans pulling air through the case, and i did pull the side and use a box fan on high. the temps were consistently in the 50s when i could check them.

i did remove and reinstall the card already.
i did remove the old driver and install the new already
i cannot enter safe mode now, but i will try again when i get home

as a follow up, i finally fixed this issue

i did follow the advice, which did not help.

a new msi 768 gtx 460 was the answer. it has been in since sunday and no issues

Back