1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Graphics Card Issue

By Brad89
Jan 6, 2009
  1. Hello, obvious first time poster, but im hoping some of you may be of assistance to my problem.

Recently, i upgraded my Hp Pavillion 9644ca's 2 gigs of ram, to 4 gigs, everything has run smoothly until a few days ago when it froze while i was playing World of Warcraft, i figured, no big deal, probably a graphics card issue, its happened to me before, so i checked my updates and sure enough a new driver was avalible through windows update, so i update it and try WoW again, runs smoothly for a while then locks again, from here my problem escalates and the computer locks with the slightest use of graphics power, its gotten to the point now where i cant even start the computer, instead of loading screens, i get weird colored bars running vertically along the screen that start to fade from the bottom right corner, and work to the top left, eventually leaving my with a black screen, unfortunately, the problem is a little deeper however, occasionally i can get it to load, the last time i thought i had corrected the problem, i ran S.T.A.L.K.E.R to test it, and it ran for a while but died again.

Ultimately, I hope i can recover my hard drive and wipe the computer, but any ideas before i take that step would be appreciated.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Sounds like the video card is dieing or overheating

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.