Possible RAM problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseM

Hello everybody. I was just looking at my system information and it says that there is only like 120-250MB of available physical memory, when I have 512MB total. I was wondering why this is and if I can fix it to make my computer have more available RAM and maybe run faster.

It's becuase you are utizing programs that temporarily take memory space up.

JesseM said:
Hello everybody. I was just looking at my system information and it says that there is only like 120-250MB of available physical memory, when I have 512MB total. I was wondering why this is and if I can fix it to make my computer have more available RAM and maybe run faster.
Hi JesseM,

there's nothing wrong with your system, so there's really nothing that needs fixing. your available physical memory will always be less than the total physical memory due to windows and programs using up memory.

if you want to speed up your PC by freeing up memory the easiest way is to stop un-necessary programs from starting up with windows. and the easiest way to do that is to go to start > run > type "msconfig" (without the quotes) > click the startup tab > disable everything you don't need. you can pretty much disable everything listed (although you may wish to leave anti-malware and firewall software checked) then restart your PC

:wave:

Alright does anywhere know where I can get the best deals on RAM? I know my computer uses DRDRAM.

RD RAM...
Check out newegg.com. Corsair or Kingston RAM are very good, and reliable.

Regards :wave:

One of my older PC's is a Dell 8250 that uses RDRAM. It came with 512MB and I went to ZipZoomFly.com to get a pair of 256MB sticks to bring the total up to 1024MB. As you know you have to add and replace RDRAM in pairs.

Using CPU-Z, I determined the brand and part number of my RDRAM. I found the same Samsung brand and part number at Zipzoomfly and ordered it. Works fine.

Edit: I note that the RDRAM I bought is out of stock at zipzoomfly.
Edit 2: If your part number is MR16R1628DF0CT9, then a quick google check shows that Memory4Less still has some in stock.

But it wasn't cheap, right? And it was not actually Samsung memory right... rather it was labeled, after having been obtained from the Rambus people? Samsung makes Corsair. What were the labels on this memory.

Yes, it was expensive but it was Samsung branded. CPU-Z showed it to be manufactured by Samsung.

Good to know. The time for a new licensee was way past due. Samsung makes nearly ALL the flash drives regardless of brand name, and of course makes memory under several brand names including the very good Corsair. We are looking forward to this, as we have a LOT of clients out there with Dell Dimension 8100 and 8200 series, and IBM Intellistation and NetVista machines which require RAMBUS or RDRAM.

Alright thanks a lot you guys. I'll check it out at Memory4Less, and yes, I have a Dell 8250 that came with 512MB. I've gotten used to having low RAM and usually with games like Half-Life 2 and BF2 it performs reasonably fine with the graphics settings around medium, but when I tried playing BF2142 it was ridiculous. With the lowest graphics settings it wasn't even playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back