TechSpot

Possible to change the graphics card?

By theAstley
Sep 29, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi.
    I have a HP Pavilion dv9753eo Notebook PC, and I was wondering if it was possible to change the graphics card of one of these babies..
    The current one doesn't live up to the standards of gaming these days.. (8400m GS Nvidia GeForce)
    I've heard something about it being built within the motherboard, I hope that's not turning out to be true..

Thanks in advance.

- Jonas Theis

2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

Since it's a notebook, it's quite possible that your current video adapter is built right into the motherboard. I'm not familiar with that particular model but there might be some kind of graphics port for an upgrade but I wouldn't count on it. Unfortunately, HP Pavilions are pretty basic systems. Might be time for an upgrade if you want to play some of the newer games... How fast is the notebook, cpu speed-wise?

3. theAstley

theAstley TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yea, I thought so.
    It's going smoothly.
    3 gb ram and 2GHz processor, using vista.. Don't comment, it was on the laptop when I bought it.. :)

4. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

Doesn't sound like a bad system by all means, but notebooks aren't really built to run the more high-end games and 3D apps anyways. On some notebooks, mostly barebone kits, you can swap the mobile CPU for a desktop CPU and install a mobile GPU of your choice. I'm not sure either is possible with what you have.

5. theAstley

theAstley TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the replies EXCell, but I've decided to get my self a gaming desktop instead. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.