Possible upgrade on six-year-old PC

I am trying to figure out what I should upgrade on my PC. It's about six years old. I have attached a screen shot of the specs, any advice would be greatly appriciated!

Attachments

• Computer.jpg
    Computer.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 9
You shouldn't really start 2 threads when they're asking pretty much the same question.

What to upgrade depends on what you use the computer for. If it's general surfing and watching videos etc. then an SSD will work wonders (even though it might not perform at its peak potential on your system). SSD prices have come down a lot in the last few weeks and a 128GB drive is pretty affordable. If it's gaming you're after then upgrade your video card, you have a PCI-E slot so any current GPU will be compatible.

I wouldn't upgrade the RAM though, DDR1 is old tech and very expensive compared to DDR3.

Also what's your budget for the upgrade?

You shouldn't really start 2 threads when they're asking pretty much the same question.

What to upgrade depends on what you use the computer for. If it's general surfing and watching videos etc. then an SSD will work wonders (even though it might not perform at its peak potential on your system). SSD prices have come down a lot in the last few weeks and a 128GB drive is pretty affordable. If it's gaming you're after then upgrade your video card, you have a PCI-E slot so any current GPU will be compatible.

I wouldn't upgrade the RAM though, DDR1 is old tech and very expensive compared to DDR3.

Also what's your budget for the upgrade?

The computer will be used for watching Movies, using VirtualBox, and storing pictures/videos. Budget is $1000.00

With $1k just build a new computer, that's a decent amount to work with and probably more than enough considering what you're using the computer for.

The buying guide will get you started. As you're not gaming you don't need the graphics card, and I'd definitely get a 128GB or 256GB SSD: Crucial m4, Samsung 830 and Plextor M3 are the best ones out there.

Lol Slh28 beat me too it. Building a whole new PC is obviously the better route. You can only improve so much when upgrading old tech.

Back