Possible Virus Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainsford

So, for the past few weeks, have had a pretty annoying issue with my PC. It will run fine for a few hours, then all of a sudden I won't be able to open a new window. If IE is running, new tabs will either be stuck empty with "Connecting..." on top, or not open at all. I'm unable to open links in new windows, open my start menu, any new programs, or even right click (menus don't show up). Even if I use my middle mouse button to scroll, nothing happens (the cursor won't change). However, if I close a window, the problem goes away until I open another, when the problem restarts.

As of now, rebooting eliminates the issue for a time, but it's still incredibly infuriating. I had heard from a friend that he's heard of viruses like this, so I ran Avast!, Malwarebyte Anti-Malware, and Ad-Aware, and the problem still persists. Any help would be fantastic! Thanks alot!

You are also describing a typical RAM issue. Either you don't have enough installed or your RAM is bad. It could also be a heat issue, especially if you're using a laptop.

Please post your system specs.

Does it seem like a RAM issue? If I'm running a game when the problem crops up, I don't have a problem continuing the game or notice any distruptions. Here's my specs:

Coolermaster Stacker 830 (4 side fans, 2 front, 1 exhaust)
EVGA 680i motherboard
Patriot Extreme Performance GB DDR2
8800GT
q6600 G0

My case has quite a bit of airflow, so I'm not sure if it's heat, since I always keep speedfan up and running to keep the temps down. Thanks alot!

Still sounds like a memory problem. There are two things you can do at this point:

1. Run the memtest to make sure your memory is good:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

2. Open the Event Viewer and look for any Errors that correspond to a time when IE crashes:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back