Possible Website Idea for me???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

I've been thinking lately of a good website idea and I think I've got a pretty good one. I was thinking of designing a website dedicated to smaller less known bands. I think it would be a good way to get their music heard, by having a one stop site to listen to all kinds of music from the bands that haven't gotten big YET.

Some ideas I've been throwing around have been having a bios section of each band with a link to their official band webpage and possibly any other pages related to the band. Also, a link to download some of their music. One last thing would a some sort of weekly HOT list swapping out different bands that have been getting attention or are releasing new albums and stuff. Also, there would have to be a forum so all you guys could talk about the latest with the bands you love.

Granted I'm not the most skilled person when it comes to making websites, I think I might could do this with my free time. The only problem is figuring out how to make forums and databases for the music and space to put all the music, but hopefully I'll come across some money and invest in this little project of mine.

Anyways, this is just an idea I've been pondering and I wanted to know what some of you guys and girls thought about it. Is it worthwhile? All I'm aiming to do is to give some of the lesser known bands the attention they deserve!!! I think if a website like this got popular it would generate bigger fan bases for the bands, but again this is all my opinion. Yours would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read over all this and feel free to post your opinion.

Also, I'm sure there probably are some websites like this so if any of you know any similar to what I'm proposing I would appreciate it if you could post a link to them. Thanks again.

This is a quote from myself on another board I was on, but I was also wondering what some of you guys thought about it? Especially some of the more experienced programmers and website builders here (Julio especially ;)). Would this be too big of a project to undertake and if not where are some places I can know to learn how to do some of the mentioned ideas?

Also, what programs would be best to do something like this? As you can probably see I'm new at this so any ideas you guys can offer would be GREAT!!!

From personal experience I know that CGI could do this very easily (Think Perl!). You may even be able to find pre-made scripts that will do this for you. Check out resources such as www.hotscripts.com

If you do plan on using Perl/CGI, I'll gladly offer any assistance you need. I'm currently working on a little project of my own. There are plenty of tutorials and guides out there. I'm a self-taught Perl programmer. I'm not a Perl genius, but I know my way around fairly well.

Whatever you choose to use, you will have to have support from the server to run these scripts. This makes you pretty much limited to perl and ASP. I know very little about ASP, but it is a good scripting "language" too, from what I hear. It's also fairly popular. When looking for hosting for Perl, it is important to look for SSI abilities too.... There are only a handful of decent CGI hosts though and even fewer ASP hosts. So it may take some searching.

If you are going to pay for hosting, you'll get a chance to use other technologies such as PHP and maybe even C scripts etc.. And there will undoubtedly be support for CGI/perl/SSI.

This is all very doable with Perl though and should possible for a beginner to do depending on the scope of this project.

Thanks for the reply Rick! :)

I can't say I know anything at all about ASP (Active Server Pages I'm guessing). I do plan on getting a static IP address to host the site from my ISP. Anyone who know much this will cost me roundabout???

Anyways, I'll have to start looking into this more and see what comes of it. Any other suggestions from other members are welcome. :)

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
Thanks for the reply Rick! :)

I can't say I know anything at all about ASP (Active Server Pages I'm guessing). I do plan on getting a static IP address to host the site from my ISP. Anyone who know much this will cost me roundabout???

Anyways, I'll have to start looking into this more and see what comes of it. Any other suggestions from other members are welcome. :)

Static IPs are trival in cost.. usually a smal payment of 5 dollars or so. If you are going to host this site on your computer (Makes sense if you are getting a static IP), then no aditional costs will be incurred. If you plan on getting hosting, then it will cost money.. And it will vary greatly upon the host itself. IT could cost anywhere from 5 bucks a month to 40 a month for sufficient hosting. A domain name will cost 20 to 30 dollars a year (typically).

That's what I was thinking. I do plan on hosting the site if at all possible with a static IP address. The cost is easily doable its just the space that worries me. Right now I had two 60GB drives that I use for personal use, but I'd have to get another drive or two just for this project.

Thanks again for the quick reply! :)

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
That's what I was thinking. I do plan on hosting the site if at all possible with a static IP address. The cost is easily doable its just the space that worries me. Right now I had two 60GB drives that I use for personal use, but I'd have to get another drive or two just for this project.

Thanks again for the quick reply! :)

What kind of project are planning!? LoL. Why would you need another two 60gb drives? Good lord man. ;)

You can share your drive safely with nearly any HTTP server software. Any respectable software will allow you to choose a single folder as your root webfolder. You shouldn't need an entirely new drive unless you are really, really, really concnered about your online safety.

Originally posted by Rick

What kind of project are planning!? LoL. Why would you need another two 60gb drives? Good lord man. ;)

You can share your drive safely with nearly any HTTP server software. Any respectable software will allow you to choose a single folder as your root webfolder. You shouldn't need an entirely new drive unless you are really, really, really concnered about your online safety.

I guess your right, I'm just a little paranoid I suppose. I do have an extra 20GB drive laying around that I could use.

I guess the only thing to do now is to quit procrastinating and start on the design I want for my site. :)

I'm thinking of using Dreamweaver MX and some of the other Macromedia products for this little project of mine. Anyone have any experience using these products and know if they are worthwhile? It seems like these products could do the job for me and not be too difficult to work with.

I would appreciate any comments given. :)

Dreamweaver is hands-down the best HTML editor ever. I've used just about every software out there and I haven't found anything that comes as close to fullfilling what I want as close as Dreamweaver.

Using a WYSIWYG editor (What you see is what you get) has some major advantages over hand-writing code. It's many times faster and much easier, which are the big advantages I think.

Professional grade applications such as Dreamweaver also write excellent code. Dreamweaver, in particular, adheres well to HTML standards and writes the most elegant code you'll probably be able to get from an editor. This is another reason I like Dreamweaver so much.

Of course, nothing is perfect and Dreamweaver does have some very minor flaws. The code is not always *perfect*. No software can replace good, old fashioned, human perception and logic. You'll have to be extremely picky and very professional minded to find any faults with Dreamweaver's generated code though. It is sufficient for whatever purpose just about anyone can come up with, but there are different ways to handle situations and Dreamweaver may not always pick the best approach. It's very good however and doesn't bloat your code often, if at all.

One application in particular I would recommend you disregard totally is Frontpage 98, 2000 and XP. They are horrible (maybe not horrible), filled full of MS/IE proprietary code+features. It's very difficult to make a standards-compliant site in FP. The interface is fairly easy to use, but no easier than Dreamweaver for all intents and purposes. I think Front Page should be geared more toward the amatuer webmaster/site if anyone is indeed forced to use it. Hopefully that's not you. ;) For those professionals who do use it, I imagine they go over the code with a fine-toothed comb to fix up. It's not horrible, but it could be much better.

Dreamweaver also has a nice manual code editing screen.. Where you can view the HTML code as colored tags. There are freeware apps out there that will do this for you, but this feature is built in and just another reason to go with Dreamweaver. You can also view code and rendered HTML at the same time, making it fairly quick to see what's going on under the hood, at a glance.

Another part of most webistes is graphics. Adobe Photoshop or Corel Photopaint have my best recommendation. Just use whatever you are comfortable with though... If you are not familiar with any graphics programs and don't have a ton of monye to spend on these pro apps, then you might look for inexpensive alternatives such as JASC Paintshop pro. There might even be some freeware graphics programs out there. I know there are a number for Linux, and they probably have Windows ports or simliar Windows alternatives.

Keep in mind, the better your tools are, the better your end results will be. This is important with all software, such as HTML editors or graphics programs.

For information on design, authoring, coding and news, I find http://www.webmonkey.com a useful resource. Their javascript and CSS tutorials are excellent (If you plan on using any such things). For tutorials on Perl, there's not a single tutorial I can recommend. I got started on Perl using about.com's guides, so I guess they can't be too bad. For webpgaes, you'll find text parsing extremely useful and I suggest learning all you can on searching, replacing, matching and editing lists, hashes, strings etc.. Much of what you'll be doing will require this knowledge.

I actually don't know of any good Perl editors, but I know they exist somewhere. I should probably look for one myself. I've been using it for years in notepad and I have to say it is a less than great experience. ;) Syntax errors take forever to find with notepad.. hehe! Most perl editors are shareware though, so you'll have to pay. I'd personally rather find something free... Afterall, it's just scripting.

Anyhow, good luck on your site again. I'll help you out any way I can. Hopefully some other people can offer some help too. Looking at your website through my eyes is probably not what you'd like. :) It's good to have some different input.

Thanks again for the detailed reply Rick! Seems that you and I are the only ones surfing the Programming Corner. ;) I downloaded the trial versions of Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, and Coldfusion MX from Macromedia's website to try them out for a month and see how I like it. They have a new product called Studio that has all these products into one for only $200 dollars if your a student that is (like me). :) I think I might go with it if I find it worthwhile.

First and foremost though I need to get all the images and buttons and whatnot made. I have Adobe Photoshop 6 so I'll probably use that or Illustrator to do the job. I can't say I'm the most experienced at Photoshop, but I think I can work my way around enough to make what I want.

I don't really know anything about text parsing. If you could elaborate just a little it would be great!!! I'm trying to do some searches and find out what I can about parsing. What exactly does parsing do?

It seems that Macromedia's products work very well with each other so I'll try and stick with them. Hopefully I can get started makes all the images I need for my site soon and start coding. I really don't want to have to stop and make icons or buttons every 5 minutes while working in Dreamweaver. Either way I want my site to be unique and vibrant (almost seeming alive :)), but then again who doesn't. ;) Thanks again for the info. Rick!!!

Ha!!! Just found out how to parse XML using Coldfusion.
Parsing existing XML
First, I'll show you how easy it is to parse—that is, get the information out of—an existing chunk of XML. Suppose you have a plain text file (Company.xml) that contains some XML.
Company.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<company name="Macromedia">
<location name="Newton">
<employees>
<person>Demi Moore</person>
<person>Bruce Willis</person>
</employees>
</location>
<location name="San Francisco">
<employees>
<person>Tom Cruise</person>
<person>Ben Forta</person>
<person>Nicole Kidman</person>
</employees>
</location>
</company>
As you can see, this simple XML fragment contains information about a company called Macromedia. Two of its office locations are listed, with some employees from each location. Of course, the structure of this example is a bit simpler than XML you would usually encounter in the wild (elsewhere on the web), but it is sufficient for the purposes of this article.
One of the things about XML—maybe the key thing—is that the information in nearly any XML document can be thought of as forming a "hierarchy," or a "tree." Here, the <company> element is a container for the <location> elements, which are containers for the <person> elements. Try to imagine this hierarchy visually. You might find that it is similar to a Windows Explorer directory structure:
Now, why am I pounding away at this concept? Hasn't this all been covered—the inherently relational tree-like structure of it all, the parent-child relationship between the various nodes in the tree, and so on—in a thousand other books, websites, and magazine articles? Sure it has. I'm just dwelling on it for the moment in the hopes that you'll think of some existing type of data within ColdFusion's CFML language that also is inherently tree-like. Cue Mr. Burns from "The Simpson's": Hmmm. Some other data type that can hold all sorts of information in a hierarchical manner..where you can refer to the various pieces of information (company, location, person and so forth) by name... yes, a tree-like structure...
Aha! Of course, that familiar face: the ColdFusion structure (fondly called Struct in social circles). Conceptually, it's similar to the underlying logical structure of nearly any XML document. For this reason, when ColdFusion parses an XML document, it returns the information from the document in a form that's very, very similar to a ColdFusion structure. Just use the familiar, dot notation syntax to refer to the various pieces of information in the structure. Then use the familiar structure-related functions (such as StructKeyExists(), StructInsert() and so on) to find out the elements within the XML document, or to make changes to the XML data. Release the hounds!
Parsing your first XML document
Like many things, all this talk of structures and whatnot is easier to understand when you see it in action. Take a look at how you might parse the sample Company.xml file in a ColdFusion page. For simplicity's sake, assume that you've saved the following CFML code as a file named ParseXML.cfm, in the same folder as your Company.xml file. It only takes three lines of code for ColdFusion MX to parse the XML, as follows.
ParseXML.cfm
<!--- 1. We want to work with the Company.xml file, --->
<!--- which is in the same folder as this CF template --->
<CFSET MyXmlFile = ExpandPath("Company.xml")>
<!--- 2. Read XML file into string variable called MyXmlCode --->
<CFFILE
ACTION="READ"
FILE="#MyXmlFile#"
VARIABLE="MyXmlCode">
<!--- 3. Parse the XML into an XML "Object" --->
<!--- (very similar to a CFML Structure) --->
<CFSET MyXml = XmlParse(MyXmlCode)>
That's it. The first two lines of code aren't even new for ColdFusion MX. The first line returns a fully qualified pathname for the Company.xml file (including the c:\, if you're using Windows). The pathname is stored as the variable MyXmlFile, which passes to the cffile tag. The cffile tag reads the contents of the XML file into a string variable named MyXmlCode. Of course, if the XML you wish to parse is on a remote web server somewhere else, you can grab it
just as easily by substituting the cffile with a cfhttp tag above. You'll see a couple examples of that later.
Now you use a new function called XmlParse(), which accepts any properly formatted XML code as a string, returning a special structure-like item called an XML Document object. This XML Document object (named MyXml in this article) contains all of the information that was contained in the XML code (for this article, this would be the contents of the Company.xml file). So, while this code doesn't produce any output yet, ColdFusion MX has now parsed the XML and is waiting for your next move.

That's pretty easy although I still don't know how to call and get values from this. Oh well, back to the tutorials. :)

Parsing can be summarized as taking unformatted line of text from a string and extracting specific information from it that you need, or organizing the string.. etc.. It is basically manipulating text for your own purposes.

For example, when you see a URL like this:

http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=1756

There is usually a script that parses this URL to get information from it. Let me break it down for you..

action=newreply&threadid=1756
A script takes this information, and parses it into a usable format. The & sign is usually a seperator, seperating the values above. action=newreply is an example of the information we'll need to extract from the string.

A script programmed to extract the information from this string would remove the & and = symbols and set "action" equal to "newreply". Then it would set "threadid" equal to "1756". The program can now use this information to do what it was meant to do.

I realize you don't know Perl, so this might not make a whole lot of sense to you. But this is an example of text parsing if you are interested.

split(/&/, $ThatURL);

If $ThatURL was equal to "http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=1756"

This would break down the URL into sections, creating those sections at the & signs. So the first section would then be "http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/newreply.php?action=newreply" and the second section would be "threadid=1756". You could then assign each section (known as slices in Perl) to variable(s) and deal with them accordlingly.

I won't go into anymore detail, but when you decide to program in Perl, this will become very clear. It's a fairly simple concept that is used very often in text parsing.

Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly. Your breaking the url down into the parts because you want to use specific parts for specific purposes. Next, you'll assign each section that was broken to specific variables (in the language your coding) and then take those variables and say create a database (an example) of the number of threads you have to date. Does this sound right? And you could take the other part of the url (the new reply part) and say record it as a new post count if you would want to count the number of posts in a thread or something like that.

Am I making any sense here? I know these might not make good examples, but its what I thought of right off the top of my head.

Could this be used for database purposes, like if you wanted to search out a band your looking for (hint: my website ;)) and find out information about them? I know this is a hassle for you Rick, and believe me I do appreciate it, but could you offer up one more completely different use for parsing? I think it might help clear up any confusion I might be having. Thanks so much again!!!

Sure. I don't have the time to go into great detail now though. I'll gladly write you a sample script when I get the time though.. Perhaps a script that allows users to rank bands in Perl.

For now though, you can look at Webmonkey's movie review database script. It's a fairly simple script that will pull up movie reviews that are in the database. It's done with the beginner in mind.. Nothing really fancy.. Just straight forward and simple code-wise.

Here's the example of the database:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/47/index2a_page11.html?tw=programming

Here's the perl source code: (It is commented very well)
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/48/stuff2a/code.html

And here's the entire tutorial
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/47/index2a.html?tw=programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back