TechSpot

Potential (indexing?) problem with Asus laptop hard drive

By LoneSword
Sep 5, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. To start, I had done some damage to my laptop screen, and now I have to plug it into my desktop monitor. However, I screwed up big time when, while I couldn't see anything on either screen, I shut down the computer during a windows update. Ergo, my hard drive became corrupted.

But I thought I had everything under control; I managed to snag my files back with bootable Linux, hit the drive with DBAN, reformatted it with GParted, and reinstalled Windows 7. The system was running smoothly, and I just had to get my drivers back. However, once I began downloading drivers and installing them, the computer's pace just went to hell. It was somewhat minor at first, but within only a couple days it got worse and worse, functions took longer and longer, and now I'm very lucky if I can even log on. It seems like the computer has no idea where to find the right files.

I feel like I got way too ahead of myself and missed a step during the hard drive renewal process. I did not install a driver for the hard drive, but everywhere I looked, I saw that the motherboard controlled the hard drive, but I can't find anything on the Asus website that even remotely resembles the right driver.

I thought I had it all worked out, but clearly, I don't. Does anyone know what I could've done wrong? I'd post more information about my computer, but I'm not sure what might be needed here.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,805   +158

What is the laptops make and model? Where are you getting the video driver from?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.