TechSpot

Power adapter modifications

By kraftzion
Feb 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Can anybody answer the following questions about a laptop power adapter?

Is there a maximum length for the dc cord? In other words why do they locate the adapter 1/2 way down the cord instead of closer to the outlet.

Is the small cylinder around the cord about 3" before it enters the laptop some sort of choke/filter?

Thanks.

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,554   +2,897

There is no particular reason for this, either side of the power supply could be lengthened or shortened.

I'm not positive but thats what I have always thought it was.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

correct.

4. kraftzion

kraftzion TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've had 1 laptop burn up already due to poor design at the power cord entry- come to find out it hooks directly to the motherboard and if it doesn't get a good connection it burns up. Let this happen and it is a expensive fix. I figure that it will be cheap insurance to make the power cord connection inside the case permanent, probably involving a L connector end- put it in with some good connection grease, epoxy the L to the outside of the case with a short tag end and a new exterior disconnect.I'm looking for a new laptop now and I am going to do this mod as soon as I get it.

5. kraftzion

kraftzion TS Rookie Topic Starter

The reason for the question about cord length is that I am in the habit of setting the transformer on the table or bar beside me, It falling off and snatching on the cord a couple of times is all it takes to mess up the disconnect inside the case in my opinion.