Power adapter modifications

Can anybody answer the following questions about a laptop power adapter?

Is there a maximum length for the dc cord? In other words why do they locate the adapter 1/2 way down the cord instead of closer to the outlet.

Is the small cylinder around the cord about 3" before it enters the laptop some sort of choke/filter?

Thanks.

Is there a maximum length for the dc cord? In other words why do they locate the adapter 1/2 way down the cord instead of closer to the outlet.
There is no particular reason for this, either side of the power supply could be lengthened or shortened.

Is the small cylinder around the cord about 3" before it enters the laptop some sort of choke/filter?
I'm not positive but thats what I have always thought it was.

I've had 1 laptop burn up already due to poor design at the power cord entry- come to find out it hooks directly to the motherboard and if it doesn't get a good connection it burns up. Let this happen and it is a expensive fix. I figure that it will be cheap insurance to make the power cord connection inside the case permanent, probably involving a L connector end- put it in with some good connection grease, epoxy the L to the outside of the case with a short tag end and a new exterior disconnect.I'm looking for a new laptop now and I am going to do this mod as soon as I get it.

The reason for the question about cord length is that I am in the habit of setting the transformer on the table or bar beside me, It falling off and snatching on the cord a couple of times is all it takes to mess up the disconnect inside the case in my opinion.

Back