Power button (mobo) problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aolish

So I've been having some problems with the power button. I'm not sure if its the mobo or the cases button itself (Obviously i hope its the button), but everytime I want to turn on the PC i have to press the power button several times to make it turn on. It almost always requires 2-3 button pushes for it to recognize i want it to turn on. Any ideas if this could be a button, mobo or maybe even a psu issue? thx for any help.

EDIT: I have checked the PSU with SIW to see if there's any psu related problems. All rails are reporting within almost EXACT specs. Infact, I have never seen the rails look so close to the min-max as they do before now. So it can't be the psu.

EDIT 2: I'm not sure if this will help in any way but I'll just say it. Upon pushing the button down the CLICK on the button thats on the case is pretty loud. There has never been once a time where the click has never came out. It has always clicked 100% of the time. Its just to rule out any possibility someone might think that the button might not be making sufficient contact with whatever it needs to turn on the pc.

Which case brand do you have. We have seen power switch problems with at least three popular brands of computer cases..
Unfortunately, we have found no obvious fix because the case makers to not repair switches or replace parts.
On some a small plastic part breaks. On others the switch grounds itself against the case wall or panel.

You can buy a replacement switch like this: http://www.directron.com/atxswitch.html

Use it to test with and if it turns out the case switch is bad you might be able to use this as a replacement. Please note that if you want to buy it from Directron, there is a $10 minimum purchase requirement. If you don't need any other items to make the total $10 or more, you can probably find it somewhere else. At least you know it exists.

The best way to check is to just unplug the case button from the mobo jumpers and bridge the jumpers connection your self with a screwdriver,all your have to do it touch the two jumpers together for a second and it will start you don't need to leave it on there,,, it is extreemly low voltage and won't fry your fingers don't worry, you will know for sure if it is the button as it probably is.

I have started countless mobo's in this way durring testing out of the case and never had a short or any other problems for that matter so don't be scared.

Good Idea, but with the Cooler Master and Antec boards we have seen which use the defectoive switch, the problem is really with the button which breaks off. You need the full switch mechanism to make it right... because you can rig the exising case so you can turn it on and off. It is just ugly, and cuts your finger.
The switch might work for Aolish just fine.

Which case brand do you have. We have seen power switch problems with at least three popular brands of computer cases..
Unfortunately, we have found no obvious fix because the case makers to not repair switches or replace parts.
On some a small plastic part breaks. On others the switch grounds itself against the case wall or panel.

its an ABS Stealth Case

You can buy a replacement switch like this: http://www.directron.com/atxswitch.html

Use it to test with and if it turns out the case switch is bad you might be able to use this as a replacement. Please note that if you want to buy it from Directron, there is a $10 minimum purchase requirement. If you don't need any other items to make the total $10 or more, you can probably find it somewhere else. At least you know it exists.

wow... thx for this link. Will seriously look into purchasing this if the problem gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back