Power module fried?

Acemoose

A systems friend installed a 250 GB HD on my Sony VAIO RS 220 -- in addition to the 120 GB HD that came with the puter. He moved my D Drive to the 250 GB and left the C Drive on the 120 GB. HD.

System ran fine -- for about 3 months,.

Then one day I heard what sounded like the HD (not good)-- but the noise was coming from the area of the Power module. The puter started to behave erratically-- when I turned it off normally, once I turned it back on, it would flip into a blue screen and then start up without my even pressing the ON button on the tower.

So I did a CheckDisk on the C Drive -- and it found ALOT of bad sectors -- and supposedly fixed them. I tuirned off the puter and when I turned it on, I got a message:that said part of the Operating system (XP Home) was bad and needed to be reloaded.

Once I turned off the computer, I was never able to turn it on again -- I would press the switch and...nothing.

The person who originally loaded the 250 G HD is no longer interested in looking into this. He said "Well, it might be the power module".:mad:

I have a dead puter, two telecommuting jobs that are going nowhere, and I need to get to the bottom of this. I could order a refurb and get a HD dock and try to load everything onto the new puter -- but what other options do I have???

I would suggest you try and replace the power supply or have someone help you with replacing it and see if that solves the problem with the system not powering on.

Took out the old power suply-- called Tiger Direct- they don't carry it-- i am trying to contact SONY now. Does anyone know of an aftermarket prvider for this???

What are the specs of the current power supply. Does it appear to be a standard PSU and have a standard connection to the motherboard?

Thanks JMMD!!

I had just given you the basics-- yes there was more info on that label -- I found a supplier - they will ship it to me. Then I'll lug my puter back into the kitchen (the only rugless room) put it on the floor and carefully install the module - I already took pix of the connectors before i unplugged and removed the old module, so I know what goes where.

I've worked on car wiring systems so this is not much different (in fact some of the clearances inside my tower are a little more generous than the clearances under the dashboard)

(To be continued)

Back