TechSpot

Power On Fault

By 1bellb
Dec 24, 2008
  1. Hi, I just pressed the power button on my laptop and the power light came on as well as the battery light and then went off after a second, so I pressed the power button again and it did the same no matter how many times I did it or no matter how long I did it, so I took the battery out of the laptop and blew the pins, left it out for 3 mins and put it back in, and then it worked fine, im using it now, but is there anything that may be causing this.
    it is the first time it has happened but I thought if it is gonna be a problem I might as well as get ahead of it.
    So does anyone know what is causing this or will it just be dust on the battery

2. lamo

lamo TS Rookie Posts: 570

so tell us exact laptop model

3. 1bellb

1bellb TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 107

it is a Sony VAIO VGN-AR61M

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

The battery might be going bad. How old is it?

5. 1bellb

It isnt even a year old

6. Tmagic650

Could have been caused by static build up... Just keep an eye on it and tell us if it happens again. Laptop batteries have about a year or two life span, depending how you use the laptop. Is your always on the AC adapter?

7. 1bellb

most of the time yes it is on the AC adapter but I do let the laptop run down to 5% battery life once every week, because I have heard it can help them have a longer life

8. Tmagic650

That's a good thing to do

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.