Power on problem

By jtman
Dec 12, 2004
  1. My computer worked fine for about a year. Its an AMD athlon XP 2000 with an MSI mobo. One day about a year ago I tried using the included overclocking utility that came with the mobo. my computer froze and then powered down never to work again. When i power the system on the fans turn for about a second then it turns off. I sent the CPU in for warranty thinking maybe I had blown the processor.
    I put the new one in the mobo and powered on only to have it turn off a second or two later. I removed the vid card and the ram and stll get the same result. I am at a loss of what to do. I put it all in my closet and just used my old k6-2 500mhz computer. Now I am getting a new mobo for xmas and I want to get this thing running again. Do you think a new mobo will solve my problem? should i invest in a new power supply? Thanks in advance for your help

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

Did you ever try clearing the CMOS? Your bus speed or multiplier might be set too high. There was also a bad batch of capacitors that went into motherboards a few years ago. MSI seemed to be the hardest hit. Theres a chance that when you overclocked that you burned out a cap. that was already about to fail. The bad ones tend to swell and burst.
  3. jtman

jtman TS Rookie Topic Starter

I cant say i know too much about Mobos. I have another question. Would using a new processor in the burnt mobo could I have damaged the new one? I took it all apart and the thermal tape on the heatsink looked untouched. the processor looks brand new still. I just hope when i get the new mobo itll stay on when i hit the power. Thanks again for your reply

4. vegasgmc

The thermal pad should have a square smashed in the center of it from the processor core. If not, the processor is probably toast unless your mobo has a thermal protection feature that shut down the computer before damage was done. Maybe thats why its not booting.
  5. jtman

If my processor is toast and i try it in the new Mobo will it kill the mobo? Can a loacal computer shop test the processor for me? I cant afford to kill any more parts
  6. vegasgmc

Im not dure if there is a device for testing processors other than what the manufacturers use. You can call around.
  7. jtman

Well, Im typing this message using the new Mobo. I hooked eveyrthing up and it all turned on and everything. It so nice to be running 1.6ghz vs 500 mhz =D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.