Power problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone :) ,

I'm a newbie and I was wondering if someone could help me out with my problem.

I have a SONY Vaio VGN-CR510E laptop running Vista, bought about a year and half ago.

Two weeks ago, it seemed that the old battery got drained completely beyond recharge. I basically closed the lid, tried to turn it back on 12 hours later, not plugged in this whole time, and it wouldn't turn on. So I plugged it in, it turned on again, but the battery stopped charging no matter what.

Since the battery was already only holding charges for about 1/2 hour, I decided to buy a new one.

The new generic battery worked PERFECTLY FINE with the installation CD for 2 weeks. Yesterday I did the same thing again, closed the lid, not plugged in, tried to turn it back on about 10 hrs later, and it wouldn't start. However this time, it still wouldn't turn on with the AC adapter. I did notice the battery LED light kept blinking. So I removed the battery with the AC in, only then I was able to turn on the laptop. When I tried to put the battery back, and every time I did it, Vista would say that I have an incompatible battery, or it's not installed properly. After I click OK, THE SCREEN BLACKS OUT AND THE COMPUTER BECOMES NON-RESPONSIVE). Not shutting down. And windows would only resume once the battery was removed. And while it's blacked out, the battery LED would keep on blinking.

So it's pretty frustrating and the SONY tech thinks the laptop is short-circuiting the battery so it needs repaired. I may need a new battery again too. But could anyone confirm that this is a circuitry problem? Does my laptop need repaired?

Any help's appreciated!

The AC adapter can be tested out with a multi-tester you can get those at Radio Shack or Home Depot. That's how I use to do it at RS days. Could be the MOBO shorting out also. That would need to be replaced.

1. Take Tedster advice
2. Get a multi-tester and test the power adapter
3. Get the laptop repaired

verify the laptop power settings. Closing the lid typically has three options
  1. do nothing, ie leave the system running
  2. put the system into Standby mode
  3. go to hibernation
Only option (3) is really effective as it goes cold and leaves a trickle to sense the lid opening.
Option (2) will keep memory alive and thus drain the battery -- which sounds like what happed to you.

On my Toshiba, the panel light flashes orange on Standby and is totally off in hibernation mode.

<snip>
Only option (3) is really effective as it goes cold and leaves a trickle to sense the lid opening.
I'm not certain what you mean by "leaves a trickle to sense the lid opening" but i believe hibernation turns off 100% of the power. One must hit the power button to take machine out of hibernation

On mt toshiba, I just open the lid and it "Resuming Windows ..." beings; guess I'm lucky.
To do that, the lid switch operates like the PON button, so I (perhaps carelessly) thought it
took something to send the signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back