TechSpot

Power Problems

By paladin3056
Mar 13, 2008
  1. Hello TechSpot, I would like to ask for help from some of the computer experts here. Whenever I bootup my pc, the fans would turn on then in a second it would stop dead, all the fans would stop and it won't bootup but the green light is still on, I had to remove the plug of the PC and turn on the PC 2, 3 or 4 time before it can bootup properly.

I haven't done anything on the PC except playing some games, I also checked the pins and connections but I just get the same reults.

Anyone know what is the problem here or have experienced the same problem as I do? Could it be the Motherboard or the Harddrive?

Here are the Specs of my CPU
    Pentium 4 2.26GHz
    GeForce 2 MX400

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

You can also temporarily fix it by:

Removing the plug (as you do)
    Hold in the power button for 30 secs(even 20 !)
    Put the cord back in
    Turn on

Oh, and this is a power supply issue usually (even though it works (some of the time)

3. paladin3056

paladin3056 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I didn't know that.

Do you think it is the powersupply? Not the Hard drive?

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Yep, not a hard drive problem.

Also, just FYI, those green lights on the motherboard are absolutely worthless for diagnosing a problem. All they tell you is the board is getting power, but even dead power supplies often give the board enough juice to light that LED up.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.