Power requirement question

By mholt82
Mar 11, 2008
  1. when it comes to power usage im not that up to date i currently have a 250watt power supply that came with a plain jane case , im running a pentium duo core 3.0ghz processor 2 gigs of ram and a 256meg nvidia video card i saw a new case at best buy that came with a 500watt power supply how do i know if that kind of power would be right for what im running, would to much power blow my motherboard ? i was highly advised to up my power supply a friend was amazed my computer was running to begin with.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Power supply problems relate mainly to video graphics. I suggest you get a quality power supply from the list of power supplies on this forum you can find with a search. Certainly 400 or 500 watts is a good choice, if it has steady output.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

google "PSU calculator", add 30% to the results, then buy quality.
  4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,261   +92

You're probably better off hand picking (or having a trustworthy person) hand pick you an aftermarket PSU. The ones that come with cases are rarely of a decent quality.

Can you post your current motherboard model?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.