Power supply and mobo are 100%, no power

endlessdamage

Ok so, i do know what the problem is, this is more about what i can do to use my computer until i can fix the problem. Ill start off with what the problem is. My computer wont turn on, from the get go i knew the power supply was okay because the mother board has a green light on it showing that its getting power. of course, just in case. i tried putting a new supply in but there were no changes. At first glance the mother board looked good. No blown resistors or anything of that sort, i sent it to a friend to check it out though, once again just to be thorough and sure. Finally after hours of tedious searching, i found the problem. The chip that the power button plugs into has blown out! Very happy thats all it is. Now, my question to all of you, is, is there anyway to bypass using that board so i can run my computer until i replace it? if i just unplug the little board that the button is a part of, the computer obviously does not turn on when i attach the computer to power and i dont know how i can trick it into turning on without having the use of the power button. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan.

There are some motherboards that have a power on button directly on the motherboard. I don't suppose you have one of those? There are some BIOS' that can enable the keyboard to power on the PC by pressing any key. I'm using one of them now. Of course, the problem with that is to get the PC started in the first place so you can change the BIOS setting (if it has that setting).

What motherboard do you have?

well there is no power on button on the mother board, and also. I cannot power on by keyboard, as i only have a usb keyboard, there are no PS/2 ports on my motherboard

i actually have no idea when it happened, my computer is on 24/7. and one day the power went out, and it hasnt turned on since, i do suppose the power failure could have casued it, but i doubt it. i used to have the bios set to automatically turn the computer on if it was on last before the power was lost, in which case i would be okay. but of course, me and my bad luck, i changed those setting the week before hand cuz i was going away for a little while and if it turned off i didnt want it to come back on for others to use. I do not know why i didnt just turn it off instead, dont ask me, i dont always think.

If your motherboard had the keyboard power on feature, I don't think it would matter which type of keyboard you used. It doesn't appear to apply to you anyway.

It looks like you will have to buy another motherboard. If you had a power failure which might have caused the board damage, you might have other, less obvious, damage to the motherboard also. So even if you bypassed the switch header pins, there's no guarantee it would work.

well i know the motherboard is good, my friend put it in his, us having the same model computer, and everything worksed smoothly, and the power supply is good, which is why we concluded its the little chip that the power button is on that then has a wire that connexts to the motherboard.

the problem is, that little chip is pretty hard to find, i did find a company that will send me one but it will take a few weeks to arrive, i just want a way to use my computer til it comes, right now im using a real old POS dell from 01 and its horrible.

Last edited by mailpup; 1 Hour Ago at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Pleasse use Edit button instead of double posting

well i know the motherboard is good, my friend put it in his, us having the same model computer, and everything worksed smoothly, and the power supply is good, which is why we concluded its the little chip that the power button is on that then has a wire that connexts to the motherboard.
Two down, and a million more to go.
What is "the chip that the power button is on that then has a wire that connexts [sic] to the motherboard"?
Do you see any visible damage on that chip? How do know it isn't something else?

"For Want of a Shoe The Horse Was Lost.......

"For want of a horse, the kingdom was lost"....or so says William Shakespear (Richard 3rd)

Although I'm more fond of this quote, "now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious summer by this son of York"!

If this is a circuit board attached to the power switch, you can't bypass it, since it is partly responsible for control of the ACPI.

Pioneer considers a DVD drive a "part" hence I was unable to buy the little rubber bands that drive the tray open and close mechanism. So, we throw the drives away.

Case maker's customer service varies from good to almost nonexistent. So, it would seem that in many instances, the case IS a part also.

If the little "chip" we're rambling on about is on the motherboard, then that would mean that is a bad motherboard, which sadly, is also a "part".

Welcome to the sometimes ugly and unforgiving world of modular electronics.

Hey, replaceable boards were considered the greatest invention since sliced bread, but that was right after vacuum tubes died out. If you're unfamiliar with "vacuum tubes" you might be more comfortable with its synonym, "dinosaur".

For those with diminished reading interpretation skills, particularly with respect to metaphor, the "shoe is the "chip", and the "horse" is the "case". Aw shoot, you knew that, I'm jus funnin witcha.

I'm also confused (and skeptical) about what he's said.
Though, he mentions that he tested his motherboard in another equivalent computer...IDK.

You wax poetic Sir!.....and a smidge of mullifluousness

Although I'm more fond of this quote, "now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious summer by this son of York"!

"It was the age of wisdom, it was the age of incredulity"...... or something close to that is my favorite.:wave:...sorry, slow evening.:wave:

Out of Randomness Order, Out of Chaos, Conformity...

.....:wave: I love how no matter how far apart the "wavys" are.....:wave: they're still in unison.
.....:wave: It's like a cheerleading competition., all together now.:wave:......!

Talk about a slow night.......

sorry i havent written back right away. and captain cranky is on the right track with the power button being a part of the case, henceforth sort of turning the case itself into a part. the chip for the power button is not physically attached to the motherboard, there is a wire running from it to the motherboard that resembles an ide cable, but its a bit less wide. the chip that the power button is attached to is also the part that has the front side usb's. As for the mobo testing, i didnt do it myself, i brought it over to my friends house, and waited for about two hours, he said he removed my mother board and his own, and put mine in his computer, and everything ran smoothly. I didnt do it myself, which is why im not "bragging" about building a new computer, though in my opinion a mobo swab may be major surgery as you say, i wouldnt feel as though i built a whole new computer.

Since the circuit board on the case power button is, by necessity, a universal plug and play object, (otherwise the case wouldn't work with every board), methinks you could replace it with another "chip" (board) from any old case. Just check the switch on your case to make sure that it is good before you commit the surgery.

Electronically the part in question is definitely plug and play. However, I don't know if the connector is standardized as well.

IMO most likely just a simple single throw push button, but you'll have to contact your manufacturer, also, they might ask an unreasonable amount of money for a replacement.

Now I understand o.o.

i would like to thank everyone for their time and answers on here. but this is no longer necessary.. i finally just convinced my girl to let me build a new computer.. i have to get that new i7 processor, and im gonna get the new tripple channel memory =]] im really excited

yes thank you ha. i have already started shopping around for everything. it was hard to get the okay for a project thats gonna cost a couple grand =]

wow! thats an amazing, extremely intense version of what im looking to do. im am looking into the i7 extreme, and two sets of the triple channel ddr3 kits, each kit has 12 gigs in 3x-2gb sticks, an off brand 7200 rpm 64mb 2 tb hdd, a 1kw power supply, im buying a liquid cooling system, 9 fans haha gotta stay cool =] and the ati HD5970, which is insane, it has 2gb of gddr5 XD the one thing im gonna slack with is the sound card, im gonna get a somewhat older creative soundblaster, in my opinion. the technology for the sound cards hasnt changed much so why spend the extra buck when you dont get much less bang. i cant wait til everything comes in =]]

//sarcasm
Just in case you can't tell; since I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not.
Though, IMO, i'd reconsider the sound card.

Back