Power supply and power jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_need_answers

hey.. I have an interesting problem.
When I plug the atx power supply into my motherboard as soon as it makes contact the psu fan spins about 4 times then stops. which i suspect means its testing to see if it works or something. But i have a computer out of the case and i might have made the fatal mistake of useing a paper clip to "jump start" the motherboard by contacting the power jumpers. now whenever and metal contact is made (paper clip, the actual start mechanism, anything) it won't cut on. Well me, thinking i must have messed up the jumpers, cut the psu green and red cord (i double checked to make sure they were the power on cords) and twisted them togeather and put electrical tape around them. I know its not the best job but i was just testing a theory. When I plug in the psu and its plugged into the motherboard the psu fan becomes turned on (because of the twisted on wires) and spins. But the cpu fan and motherboard remain powerless. I am wondering if i've done something wrong or have screwed something up... any help would be appreciated.
ps. before the problems begain i installed the motherboard into a case because it was just components and i founnd a cheap case. When I installed the motherboard I screwed metal screws into the contace points where the motherboard is supposed to rest. I heard somewhere metal is bad for the bottoms of motherboards so that could be it. thanks

Disconnect External Power To The Wall Socket Before Messing Around In The Box!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm.. You are supposed to ground the green wire to turn on the PSU. Ground is black. Red is +5V. Where did you get your information about connecting the green and red? You had better hope you didn't fry the power-on or the +5V circuit in the PSU.

Using the metal standoffs and screws is perfectly OK for motherboards. Only with very poor quality and misaligned mobos you may get the collar of a screw that touches a track.

ohhh

ohhh...
Someone I know emailed me and said that is what I should probally do....I guess not..... so what should i do to get the motherboard and psu to turn on without useing the "power on " jumpers.
thanks

green is usually a data line

red can be hot or a data line

black is ground

white is neutral for 3 phase

http://pinouts.ru/data/atxpower_pinout.shtml

The "usuallies" apply only in specific fields of engineering. You cannot assume wire colours used in home appliances apply to computers or communications devices. Always look up pinouts and standards before you do anything because connecting the wrong wires often means fireworks.

you're right, I'm using it as a rule of thumb. I've seen some crazy wiring in computers before.

i always see not-so-good chinese made cases and parts with wires of all the wrong colors.

confuscious say:

Man who buy China, get wire from China. :confused:

You know the funny thing is reading poorly made documentation from Chinese manufactuers where the spelling, grammer, and syntax is so atrociously wrong it doesn't make any sense.

i find it hilarous when guys go out and buy one of them $20 chinese motherboards and can't read anything. the boards are absolute crap, anyways.
i could go on for years about the poorly machined chinese parts i've encountered. and don't even get me started about the quality of chinese steel...

yeah. I bought a case (about the only thing I would buy knowingly buy made in china) and the instructions were all jacked up. Fortunately I know how to read schematics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back