TechSpot

Power supply and video card recommendations

By InkLill
Dec 6, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I was recently passed down my first desktop: a crappy old HP Pavilion 6200n. I am big into PC gaming but am fed up with having to use a shared, slow computer or my terrible laptop.
    I am planning on beefing up this system instead of starting all over with a new one. I am upgrading to a NZXT Tempest Evo case, and the first things I will do is new RAM, a video card, and a power supply.
    I want to upgrade the power supply first. Right now I am using a stock power supply, only 250W. A cheap quality powersupply, around 400-600W (enough to support a midrange video card) is what I am looking for, preferably no more than $100USD. Suggestions?
    I am also looking for a good gaming video card...I dont need any fance SLI or crossfire or whatever it is...but something with at least one HDMI output and capable of supporting 2-3 monitors.
    If you need any extra specs just tell me specifically what you need and Ill post them.

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

Before you do anything, what CPU does it use?

Will be pointless even considering a new midrange GPU if your CPU is just going to bottleneck.

3. InkLill

InkLill TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

CPU Specs

It is (according to system properties and the side of the case):
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 DUal Core Processor 5000+
    clocked at 2.6 GHz

4. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,377   +127

Tough call, but I'm thinking the best you can do while supporting that many monitors is a Antec Earthwatts 380D and a 5670 or so.

6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,290   +25

What's your total budget for everything?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.