Power supply for Tyan Thunder K8WE and 2 x Opteron 208 (also, fans)

By gubar
Jan 15, 2009
  1. Hi,

going to make a system with the above board and two processors, and either a 8800gt or 9800 gtx+.

Would this power supply be a good choice?:

If not, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Finally, I have heard that these processors can be quite hot - would anyone care to recommend fans to use for these?

thanks again,

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Your link doesn't provide any info...
  3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

This PSU will be more than sufficient for your build.
  4. gubar

gubar TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 105

Thanks for the replies - I'm having a look at that psu along with some others.

Also sorry for the bad link - I've since ruled out the psu I thought it pointed too anyway.

I have another question please - the board has no retainers, though it has back plates and long screws on either side of each processor (the previous owner had a water cooler and has lost the retainers since he didn't need them).

I have one artic cooling freezer pro 64 and I was going to buy another one and use these together with the 2 x opteron 2809s. Would these be ok - and are retainers for socket 940s all the same or varying sizes for different coolers? If so how would I find out which to buy?

Finally, are there any coolers that don't need retainiers and can be screwed onto the screws directly?

thanks again for the help

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

It depends on the current backplate. There are a lot of coolers out there that can be used with a backplate, provided it's the correct one.

How much are you looking to OC the CPU (if at all)? You may want to invest in a cooler like a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme for a high OC. And just out of curiosity, what do you need two enterprise-class dual-core CPUs for?
  6. gubar

gubar TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 105

Hi there,

thanks for the reply.

Basically, a friend has given me the motherboard, two processors and 4 gigs of registered ram. Since I've not upgraded for ages I've decided to build a new system around these parts.

Problem is, I don't have the retention plates and my knowledge is somewhat limited, hence my questions here about how I've going to get fans on this thing! I think the fans I mentioned would be fine - from what research I've done - but I'm just not sure about getting the correct retention module and backplate.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.