TechSpot

Power supply issue?

By Lordsalereth
Aug 27, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently, i had been enjoying a nice game of Warcraft 3 and having a great day... then suddenly my pc shuts off. as usual i reach down to turn it back on, but there was a problem, it doesnt turn back on, i touch the side of my tower, and the area near the power supply is burning hot.

What i have done to check to see what the problem is
    1. I have removed the ram and checked to see if they are defective
    2. I currently bought another power supply and the odd thing is, the computer will Still not turn on
    3. i have tried another power cord just to make sure it wasnt defective and yet again, i failed to turn it on.

However i have noticed that when i turn the power strip on and activate the powerr supply it makes a small buzzing noise its very soft and it seems that the power is getting through or something, but i still cannot figure out as to why my PC will not turn on. i would apreciate it if anyone could help me out here, im desperate to get back on.
  2. urbandragon

urbandragon TS Rookie Posts: 336

have you tried to bypass your surge protector, it may have received a hing voltage spike causing it to become damaged.

have you tried resetting your CMOS settings. this can be done 2 ways. remove the CMOS battery, and or checking the clear cmos jumper setting.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.