Ram: 16GBs Corsair XMS 3 @1600MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880-GM-UD2H
Hard Drive/s: Samsung 1TB @32MB cache 7200RPM
Graphics Card: ATi Radeon 5850 Powercool @800MHz 1gb
Case: Cooler Master Elite 330
Wireless Card: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless PCI Express
Stock Cooler, 2 standard LG DVD-RW's, Stock sata cables, Stock heatsinks

Nothing is overclocked.

Here's the funny part (the problem) I buy a bog standard PSU. The alpine 750WATT Silent PSU. The PSU explodes and arcs like hell after playing "Global Agenda" for 30minutes. I took the PSU out of my PC and it was smoking. I then purchased another PSU, this time it was £10 more at the same wattage and had a better name; the CiT Colours 750WATT PSU. You can probably guess what happens next....

So I leave my pc on for a few days over night (4 days) which I know is not a great thing to do, especially if I game during the day, but Ironically, as I was AFK (away from keyboard). I'm guessing my PSU had got broken some how as when I got back I found my pc was off. At first I thought it had gone to sleep but as I sat I remembered I disabled that. I tried waking my pc back by scrolling back on mouse at this point and I got a glow from my mouse and every time I scrolled when the scroll stopped the lights went off.

I pushed my power button on the front of the case and the blue LED around the switch lit up.. and back off. None of the fans would spin, no other lights would come on, none of my hard drives would turn on, nothing, dead.

So I leaned over to the back of the case and turned the psu off via the switch. I clicked my power button again and the LED around the switch came on?!! when I scrolled my mouse, the LED on that came on too!?

My problem is that I cannot find a decent PSU for under £50 which would support my system and not fail when I need it the most (High end, ultra graphic gaming :D)

So I would like to ask anyone who views this post to give thoughts on what PSU I could buy to accommodate this system.

Thanks for reading this long winded post guys, help is much appreciated =3

ReConnected

The PSU explodes and arcs like hell after playing "Global Agenda" for 30minutes.

I think this is your problem.....j/k

You need a quality PSU. As for getting a quality 750w for under $80, well you probably already know the answer to that one.

That's a pretty decent build, so I really don't get why you got cheap with the PSU.
In the end it cost you more money (and headaches) then you bargained for.
You should also consider yourself lucky you didn't fry all the components!

About the PSU, a decent 500W PSU should be sufficient, but that would be borderline for your setup. I recommend getting at least a 550W PSU.

The cheapest 500W PSU (~£62) I could find is the Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2 and for £66 the Antec Neo ECO 620C (620W.

My advice is to scrounge off some extra cash and go for that Antec PSU.

Thanks

That's a pretty decent build, so I really don't get why you got cheap with the PSU.
In the end it cost you more money (and headaches) then you bargained for.
You should also consider yourself lucky you didn't fry all the components!

About the PSU, a decent 500W PSU should be sufficient, but that would be borderline for your setup. I recommend getting at least a 550W PSU.

The cheapest 500W PSU (~£62) I could find is the Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2 and for £66 the Antec Neo ECO 620C (620W.

My advice is to scrounge off some extra cash and go for that Antec PSU.

I'm glad you like it; I went for the lower end PSU's because I was recommended it by my friends (who obviously had no idea about it xD)

I'll try to push for a 800WATT Corsair or Antec PSU after looking, because I am going to upgrade my GPU again soon. You are right - so many damn headaches :/ I worry about my PSU frying when I play BF3 so I can't actually get into the game =(

Thanks bud! :)

Back