TechSpot

Power Supply kicks in for a second then dies

By trickyt
Sep 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently one of my PCs has become difficult to start. When I press the PC's "On" button the computer seems to start for a second, (lights and fan start for a second and then it dies).

If I press the start button a second time nothing happens.

If I unplug the mains power card, and re-plug it it, then press the start button, I once again get a surge of power and then it dies again.

After many attempts the PC finally starts. I have eliminated the PC's "power on" button as the problem, by removing the connection on the mother board and starting with a screwdriver (connecting the two power supply pins for a brief moment with the tip on the screwdriver).

I know this may be a Power Supply problem, so please, no posts saying "Get a new Power Supply". What I want to know: Is my experience a normal symptom of a slowly dying power supply, or is it a normal sympton of something else on the Mother Board, such as a dead battery or something else?
  2. tkr3alm3r

tkr3alm3r TS Rookie Posts: 37

"Recently one of my PCs has become difficult to start. "

I'm guessing you have more than 1
    swap over the PSU from one to another and eliminate/identify the issue from there
    saves a lot of guess work and buying a PSU when not required
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.