System

EP45-UD3R
Q6600 OC 3.0Ghz
Dark Night CPU cooler
8Gb G Skill 1066Mhz
GTX 280
OCZ Stealth X Stream 700W
all in the NZXT Tempest

When I'm just runing eveday computing (nothing system stresfull) everyting is just fine. But when I try to play a game and all my components are geting all their maximum watts, my power supply starts making a very ear piercing squeal. I have conluded that the it is not a fan in my case that is making that noise, it seems that one of the transistors is making the odd noise. Can I fix that problem or do I have to RMA it and get a new one. Any thoughts?? Please and Thank you.

You should definately RMA the psu, before it takes parts of your pc with it when/if it goes.
I just quoted that so you know I agree.
I wanted to add that the high pitched whine is usually brought on by faulty capacitors. Antec had a run of PSUs with that symptom, and when it appeared, it was the beginning of the end. The only other culprits I might suspect are a bad fan bearing, or loose transformer plates or coils. These though, are a stretch, and RMA-able as well.

As a matter of trivia, young men, (and young women), have very good high frequency hearing. However, as males approach their twenties, their hearing gets progressively poorer in the upper ranges! (above 17.5 KHz) In some cases men are lucky if they can acquire 15 KHz.

Its either andyson or FSP based.

Andyson typically uses higher end japanese electrolytics in their psu's, no worries there, but FSP is known for using teapo and OST which have proven to be pretty at home in psu's, but can still go bad.

If its a screeching noise, its probalby a loose coil, if the caps were bad you would be probalby getting shut downs, data corruption, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back