Power supply or motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I need your advice please.

I have a system based on a Epox 8KHA+ with the latest BIOS. 512MB RAM, AMD XP2000+ not overclocked, running at 56 degC., Windows XP fully updated.

The problem is the system keeps turning itself off. After about an hour of running, it suddenly dies as if the power plug had been removed. If I try to restart using the power switch nothing happens. If I then unplug the power lead and replace it, it then starts up OK.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

Nick

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Sounds like some kind of overheating problem. The psu is a major suspect.

Try another psu and see how it goes. I don`t think it`s your mobo.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

nsundby said:
If I then unplug the power lead and replace it, it then starts up OK.
That sound likea faulty PSU...and
nsundby said:
The problem is the system keeps turning itself off. After about an hour of running, it suddenly dies as if the power plug had been removed.
That sounds like the system protecting it self from overheating...

Do you have a propper fan setup? 56C is hot but not alarmingly hot. I would defintly try a new PSU, or run out to your local PC shop and purchase a power supply tester for 12 or 13 USD.

Good Luck
Sean

I don't suspect a temp alarm. 56C is low.

You may be tripping a circuit. either in the house or on the power supply. What's the wattage on the PSU ?

Tedster said:
I don't suspect a temp alarm. 56C is low.

In my BIOS i can change my temp alarm to shut off my PC at 60C. I dont think it is the problem eaither, i was just ensuring that it is not something stupid like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back