Power Supply Problem!!!

By makdel
Nov 24, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everybody,
    I have a big problem with my power supply. I have P43.2GHz FSB800 Cpu, Asus P4R800-VM motherboard, etc. AGP is onboard(128Mb). Last week while I was playing fifa2005 my power supply broke down. But I could still see the led on the motherboard on. Then I bought another power supply. When I turned on the computer at the second time, It also broke down. Can anybody help me ? Is the problem because of motherboard? I checked there is no problem with the electricity.
    Note : CPU heat is 50C. (is it normal?)
    Thanks a lot
  2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Yea 50 is a little high, but im not sure that would cause a PSU to break down
  3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

If your CPU is a Prescott based P4, it's a normal temp for stock cooling. Have you tried starting up the system with the bare minimum such as CPU/Ram/VGA only ?
  4. makdel

makdel Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I have tried with a bare minumum system, but it broke down again. Today I have bought a good quality power supply. It is running but I am still afraid of there will be a brakedown.
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Install a monitoring software such as Asus Probe or Motherboard Monitor & keep an eye on the PSU rails (+3.3v, +5v, +12v). If they are on the low side or if they tend to move a lot when you're working on the machine you might have some more problems further down the road.
  6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

Certainly, providing good clean power to systems is often over looked. I hope this third PS is a good one. That said, if it goes, I would start looking elsewhere - like your power source. This is one reason I always recommend a good UPS instead of a surge protector - which IMO is nothing more than a fancy extention cord. A good UPS will yell at you if there is something wrong with the main AC, for one, but also feed good regulated power to the supply - always a good thing.

Next time you are inside the case, look at the tops of the capacitors (soda cans looking components) which surround the CPU - there will be several - 8 - 10 or more - you should see cross, a K or a Y in the tops - if they are bulging or worse yet, leaking dried foamy stuff - that may be your problem as well.
  7. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Umm bud. I think you missed the date on this post....it was almost a year ago :haha:
  8. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

:eek: Wow - and that was near the top of the list! Sorry - thought the board was more active. Thanks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.