Power Supply Problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,
I have a big problem with my power supply. I have P43.2GHz FSB800 Cpu, Asus P4R800-VM motherboard, etc. AGP is onboard(128Mb). Last week while I was playing fifa2005 my power supply broke down. But I could still see the led on the motherboard on. Then I bought another power supply. When I turned on the computer at the second time, It also broke down. Can anybody help me ? Is the problem because of motherboard? I checked there is no problem with the electricity.
Note : CPU heat is 50C. (is it normal?)
Thanks a lot

If your CPU is a Prescott based P4, it's a normal temp for stock cooling. Have you tried starting up the system with the bare minimum such as CPU/Ram/VGA only ?

I have tried with a bare minumum system, but it broke down again. Today I have bought a good quality power supply. It is running but I am still afraid of there will be a brakedown.

Install a monitoring software such as Asus Probe or Motherboard Monitor & keep an eye on the PSU rails (+3.3v, +5v, +12v). If they are on the low side or if they tend to move a lot when you're working on the machine you might have some more problems further down the road.

Certainly, providing good clean power to systems is often over looked. I hope this third PS is a good one. That said, if it goes, I would start looking elsewhere - like your power source. This is one reason I always recommend a good UPS instead of a surge protector - which IMO is nothing more than a fancy extention cord. A good UPS will yell at you if there is something wrong with the main AC, for one, but also feed good regulated power to the supply - always a good thing.

Next time you are inside the case, look at the tops of the capacitors (soda cans looking components) which surround the CPU - there will be several - 8 - 10 or more - you should see cross, a K or a Y in the tops - if they are bulging or worse yet, leaking dried foamy stuff - that may be your problem as well.

Umm bud. I think you missed the date on this post....it was almost a year ago :haha:

AtK SpAdE said:
Umm bud. I think you missed the date on this post....it was almost a year ago :haha:
:eek: Wow - and that was near the top of the list! Sorry - thought the board was more active. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back