Power Supply Question

By D@nny
Mar 26, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My computer currently says on its system specs that under Power Supply : Minimum of 295 watts 50/60 hz . Voltage is like 100-240. Most up to date video cards need 350 watt power supply and im guessing mine is just 295 watts. Its a sony vaio btw. My old video card ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9250 256MB DDR/8x-AGP/TV-Out/DVI (OEM I can't find out the minimum power supply for it so my conclusion is it was never included in any of the system specs becase it needed i guess the norm amount most computers at that time should have. I found this 400 watt power supply for just 29.99 at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=544429&Sku=T13-2002 . If i do decide to buy it are there any specifications before i buy a power supply to make sure I'l be able to pop it into my desktop? Just like anything because I don't want to buy this then figure out that 400 watts doesn't go with my 295 watt pc. Is this a safe buy?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

As far as I`m aware, Sony use generic psu`s. However, it might be a good idea to check with sony, just to make sure.

As for the psu you`re thinking of buying, don`t. It only has an output of 18amps on the 12volt rail.

This psu HERE, would be a much better buy.

Thanks to DonNagual for the psu link.

Regards Howard :)
  3. D@nny

D@nny Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 193

why is that so bad? lol
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Because it might not be capable of providing the power output you need and may even lead to problems further down the road.

The psu I linked, has an output of 30amps on the 12volt rail and is an altogether better psu.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.