Power supply tester help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a power supply tester and I believe I have a faulty psu but want to make sure. The problem is I do not know what to do with the power supply tester. Do I remove the psu from my computer, what do I attach to where, etc. All help will be GREATLY appreciated.

The power supply testers I have used plug into the main 20pin (or 24pin on newer sytems) power connector and have some indicator or good/bad power. Some testers also test other leads, but the main 20 or 24pin power connector is the important one to test. If the power supply is ok, the power supply will power up when the tester is connected, and the tester will give an indication of good power. If the power supply won't power up or you get bad readouts, then the power supply is bad. The power supply can be left in the case, just disconnect the main 20 or 24 pin power connector from the motherboard and put the tester on it. Of course, the power supply needs to be connected to AC power to be tested...

I think it would be wise to read the users manual on this, you may need to download it.

Sorry vnf4ultra, I agree with you, but it's just power and all. Better to be safe :)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean kimsland. Your statement "but it's just power and all. Better to be safe" confuses me as it seems almost contradictory. I'm not sure if you're suggesting that it's bad to test with the power supply still in the case or perhaps that it's bad to test at all? Anyway, I will admit I'm somewhat of a risk taker...I mean I did dremel my case WITH the parts still in it. :)

You do NOT have to remove the power supply from the computer case, but you must unplug it from the board.
If your motherboard as the 24 pin socket, you must have a power supply tester that also has 24 pins.
If your board has 20 pin socket, and you have a 24 pin tester, you can use the first 20 sockets.

It is easier and safer to remove and test the power supply out of the case.

The user manuals are insignificant extras, when available. Most power supply testers do not have a manual. You plug them in. They work by showing the results on LED's or an LED screen.
Five minutes is plenty long enough to test the unit...

The better, more expensive power supply testers will also test the power supply under load, but you are talking about $75 to $100 bucks.

but, it's just power, and all. Better to be safe

Hmm comas don't make it that much better either.

I'll re-write that.

Being power (and all); it's best to be safe.
(note: I left out "but" at the start of the sentence too)

But :) , I agree, I usually have it all powered and going, parts everywhere.
Mind you, I'm experienced (and I have electrical trade background, horrible area!)

I tested it and seemed to be working fine. Do you know if to test the molex, P4, Floppy connectors you connect the 20 pin as well. When I plugged in the molex or P4 nothing happened but when i plugged them in along with the 20 pin the lcd lit up along with some some other voltages.

Yes, you need the 20 pin connected as the 20 pin has the sense pin (green) which tells the power supply to turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back