Power up computer to a constant black screen

Last night my computer locked up. So I had to resort to a button power down. When I restarted the computer it started up, but there was no display. I tried switching pci-e slots to see if it would make a difference, I also tried using the on-board video. But there was no response from trying those.

Motherboard
ASRock amd 785G

Video Card
Geforce 9800 GTX

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The only beep I hear is the normal beep that happens every time I turn the computer on. But it doesn't even get to the BIOS screen.

Try booting with one RAM Module only, and disconnect all the media (e.g. HDD, DVDs etc.), if one RAM Module doesn't work try the other one. You'll need to experiment a bit to see whether you can track down the issue.

What are exact specs of your system?

Remove anything unecessary for getting into BIOS.

In your case, this includes the graphics card.

Like mentioned above, use only 1 RAM module. Remove all other add-on cards.

Your system should only comprise of the motherboard, power supply, 1x RAM, CPU, monitor and their heatsinks/fans. Disconnect everything else: USB hubs, printers, fax, coffee machine, etc.

Once you get into BIOS, shutdown, reconnect the keyboard and 1x HDD (your OS drive)

Well, I tried removing everything but the essentials, and still no video at all. I turn the comp on and the monitor screen just stays black. And just to verify, when I say it stays black I mean its like the power on the monitor doesn't even change. It just stays orange colored as if the computer is never turned on. Just to verify that, so there is no confusion.

Back