Pre-orders for VIA's $49 Android PC pre-orders promptly sell out

Shawn Knight

Staff member

VIA Technologies announced their Neo-ITX form factor Android PC last month with the promise to ship it sometime in July. In setting a course that aligns nicely with that release date, the company just started taking pre-orders but it appears their initial allotment has already been spoken for.

Known as the APC, the super small PCB measures just 6.7-inches by 3.3-inches. The kit sells for $49 which isn’t a bad price given the potential this system has. Your hard-earned money buys you an ARM11 SoC from Wondermedia, the WM8750, with an operating frequency of 800MHz that will power Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Other hardware includes 512MB of onboard DDR3 memory, 2GB of built-in flash storage for the operating system, a BIOS chip, Ethernet controller, audio controller, VGA-out connection, HDMI port, four USB 2.0 ports and a microSD card slot for general storage.

Power can be supplied in one of two ways: through an internal 4-pin 12v connector like the ones on a modern computer power supply or externally through a 12v plug. In keeping with its size, the system consumes a tiny amount of power – around 4 watts at idle and 13.5 watts under full system load.

As of writing, VIA’s pre-order website says that they are completely sold out but offers the opportunity to take your email address for notification when the APC is available again. Based on this, it seems that demand is pretty high for the $49 Android barebones computer. Units are expected to start shipping early next month.

Permalink to story.

"PRE-ORDERS FOR VIA'S $49 ANDROID PC PRE-ORDERS PROMPTLY SELL OUT"
[LEFT]Yo dawg. We heard you liked pre-orders, so we're letting you pre-order our pre-orders so you can pre-order while you pre-order.[/LEFT]

because they need to meet current demand before they accept more..otherwise they have a 2 year long waiting list

is there really a market for sub 50$ (internet) android devices?

imho, it's better to buy/use a samsung galaxy y gt-5360 phone, with up to 32gb microsd support, 3g/wifi bgn/portable hotspot, ~135$ (~5595php to 6000php price in the philippines).

a cheap android phone is better than a bareback android pc.

is there really a market for sub 50$ (internet) android devices?

imho, it's better to buy/use a samsung galaxy y gt-5360 phone, with up to 32gb microsd support, 3g/wifi bgn/portable hotspot, ~135$ (~5595php to 6000php price in the philippines).

a cheap android phone is better than a bareback android pc.

Something like this APC is easier to integrate into different situations than a phone. Like, for example, putting one into a tiny VESA mounted case attached to the back of an HD TV or monitor. Your option of using a phone instead is great if you just want the tiny little screen, and don't want to do much with it beyond what it already does. But, let's face it, this product is all about flexibly fitting into weird niche areas, or inspiring new ideas for what/where a little computer can be. Asking if there is really a market for the product just identifies that you are not anywhere near this product's target market demographic. As I told a friend of mine yesterday, this thing is more aimed at that portion of the nerd herd with serious mad scientist tendencies - which, of course, is why I jumped at the pre-order opportunity.

@vrmithrax:
but I can "dock" my samsung galaxy y at my "normal size computer" and view the files I downloaded thru my large led monitor.:)

I guess I'm not really part of that market.

how I wish entry level smartphones have mini-hdmi ports so my viewing pleasure is not hindered by a 2" phone screen

Back