TechSpot

Pre-orders for VIA's $49 Android PC pre-orders promptly sell out

By Shawn Knight
Jun 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. VIA Technologies announced their Neo-ITX form factor Android PC last month with the promise to ship it sometime in July. In setting a course that aligns nicely with that release...

Read the whole story
  2. "PRE-ORDERS FOR VIA'S $49 ANDROID PC PRE-ORDERS PROMPTLY SELL OUT"
    Yo dawg. We heard you liked pre-orders, so we're letting you pre-order our pre-orders so you can pre-order while you pre-order.​
  3. how does a pre order sells out ?
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,911   +362

because they need to meet current demand before they accept more..otherwise they have a 2 year long waiting list
  5. is there really a market for sub 50$ (internet) android devices?

imho, it's better to buy/use a samsung galaxy y gt-5360 phone, with up to 32gb microsd support, 3g/wifi bgn/portable hotspot, ~135$ (~5595php to 6000php price in the philippines).

a cheap android phone is better than a bareback android pc.
  6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Something like this APC is easier to integrate into different situations than a phone. Like, for example, putting one into a tiny VESA mounted case attached to the back of an HD TV or monitor. Your option of using a phone instead is great if you just want the tiny little screen, and don't want to do much with it beyond what it already does. But, let's face it, this product is all about flexibly fitting into weird niche areas, or inspiring new ideas for what/where a little computer can be. Asking if there is really a market for the product just identifies that you are not anywhere near this product's target market demographic. As I told a friend of mine yesterday, this thing is more aimed at that portion of the nerd herd with serious mad scientist tendencies - which, of course, is why I jumped at the pre-order opportunity.
  7. @vrmithrax:
    but I can "dock" my samsung galaxy y at my "normal size computer" and view the files I downloaded thru my large led monitor.:)

I guess I'm not really part of that market.

how I wish entry level smartphones have mini-hdmi ports so my viewing pleasure is not hindered by a 2" phone screen

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.