Prefs.cs file

mom26gr8kids

I have been having difficulty installing a software program. Their tech support told me to download a prefs.cs file (which is a programm file) and paste it into the console log. From reading my console log I can see that this file is in fact missing, but when I click on their download my computer says that it cannot open the file because windows needs to know which program I would like to use to open it. I had Windows search the web for me and it sent me to a website that has a free text pad. The website is freetextpad.com, and it says the download is free. However, before I download it I wanted to see if anyone knew that this website was legit or not. I have recently removed a nasty virus from my machine and don't want to infect it again. Thanks for your help.

Kendra

hmm; my registry does not associate ANYTHING with *.cs (which sets the default program to open any such file).

Please get VERY specific; name the product, the url from where you got the download, and where did you get the prefs.cs file?

The product is Guitar Praise from the company Digital praise. The prefs.cs file is from their tech support,, I just can't open it. When the box comes up saying that Windows cannot open this file and it can search for a program to open the file I click on search and it takes me to a website. That website is www.freetextpad.com. This website has several logos at the bottom something from tucows--it was rated 5 of 5 cows, something from Geek Files that says this product was rated 5 of 5 stars. That is all the information that I have.

Isn't prefs.cs supposed to go into the Guitar Praise folder when you installed the software in the first place?? Second, all you need to do to open up the file is use Notepad to view and edit the contents. Go to Notepad and then open the file in the folder where Guitar Praise was installed.

Yes it is supposed to go into the folder when it's installed, but for some reason it isn't. Thanks for the tip though. I did open it using Notepad, that was much easier.

Think a '.cs' file is used in C++ programming. So... not sure why a software company would expect a customer to know about, or be expected to use a file of that type.
Please see; http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/cs
It shows that 'Editplus' will open it, and I would think 'Notepad++' (free) would do too.
(It does, just had a look).

Back