Pretec 16GB USB flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to format the above drive, but it has come up with write protected

I have tried deleting them,
I have tried formatting the drive,
I have tried 'unlocker'
I have run 'flash drive/ card test (this took nearly 8 hours)
I have tried to delete these files both with XP and Win 7
There are no switches or slides, I dont have to twist anything

I have tried various programs to format it

This Flash drive is the one they had on the gadget show, supposed to be bulletproof, but not mch cop if it cant be used, accessed or formatted

Is this the only flash drive with the problem?

You might also skim through this post See [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post]

Look through all the hints for what might apply but in particular be sure to try as it says
> Run Windows Update
> Remove all old USB storage drivers
> Check out the registry tweak

And are you sure this device doesn't have some form of password protection?

Also, look [post=882736]at this post[/post]. Follow the same instructions and tell me the Hardware IDs for the flash drive

Also, look [post=882736]at this post[/post]. Follow the same instructions in step 3) and tell me the Hardware IDs for the flash drive

Is this the only flash drive with the problem?

You might also skim through this post See [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post]

Look through all the hints for what might apply but in particular be sure to try as it says
> Run Windows Update
> Remove all old USB storage drivers
> Check out the registry tweak

And are you sure this device doesn't have some form of password protection?

Its the only flash drive that does have this problem, none of my others have anything like this
,I havent used any of the securtu features on it, I cant remove anything, I cant save anything, it is all writre protected
I have tried to use this and format it with XP pro and Windows 7
here is the full spec on this

Pretec i-Disk Bulletproof ruggedised USB 2.0 flash drive is constructed of a rounded double layer of metal protection. i-Disk Bulletproof was built to be
tough and was constructed to be resistant to water, fire and any "heavy" impact. i-Disk Bulletproof was subjected to many extreme environments,
testing its durability even on a shooting range to finally demonstrate that
the product is truly bulletproof. Capacity is up to 32GB.

i-Disk Bulletproof is all you need to secure your data.

Key Features
- Resistant from water, fire, bullet and any heavy impact
- Ultimate guard 256AES encryption
- Totem pattern on the metal housing
- High capacity: 1GB ~ 32GB
- Special software inside, including Mobile Locak and Security Zip (i-Disk Secure only)
- Mobile Lock: Lock the PC/laptop for preventing others from using the PC
- Photo Slideshow supported
- Security Zip: Encrypt/decrypt files and create all by password
- Compliant with USB 2.0/1.1 specification
- Applicable to most popular computer O/S, including Windows ME and above; Mac 10.x and above

When i look at a Pretec press release for your device I see they mention "write protection" as an optional feature that can be added to the device.

So i think your best bet is to contact Pretec tech support via their web site for specifics.
Special security optional features such as password protection, encryption, write protection, and/or auto-execute pre-defined or user-defined files for identification purpose so that the USB flash drive can have its own unique ID distinguishable by audio or video effect every time the USB flash is plugged in a computer (function of Pretec i-Disk Mine) can also be added to i-Disk BulletProof

So i think your best bet is to contact Pretec tech support via their web site for specifics.

I got a replacement drive, there are 3 things on the drive, the manual, a securty exe, and another folder with bumpf in it, I loaded a very small picture on to it, removed the drive, and the picture wasnt there, so I repeated the operation, same results (this was done both on XP pro and Windows 7 and with the same results

I have tried to email the company asking for help or information, but the mail just bounces back

I dont know wether to install the securty, I dont need security on my drives (only reason I bought it was it was the right size and price and the gadget show spoke highly of it)

But in my view its a very expensive peice of rubbish, if I cant save a small picture and then retrieve it, there is no point in having it, I darent put anything of value on it, I will never be able to retrieve it, everything becomes write protected and cant be deleted or moved, its rubbish, with no baclk up from the company

Any one else had problems with their pretec products (mainly the 16gb bullet drive)

Wow. Sure does sound like a worthless device.

Did you buy it on a credit card? That might be your best bet to get your money back.

I'd even try emailing the gadget show to tell them you bought it on their advice. Now it won't work and your emails bounce back. And ask 'em what's their advice now??? (tho don't know they'll likely respond)

I'm sending it back to the shop I bought it from tomorrow, they just buy them in bulk and sell them, they know nothing about them (they have a 14 day money back)

I dont know where to email the gadget show, but will have a look around, but as you say, they probably wont reply

Got to admidt it is pretty useless, but it looks really good, just a shame it dont work as good as it looks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back