Pretty bad situation regarding Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, well, my worst computer nightmare has come true. The other day while booting my computer, I received an error that stated "NTLDR is missing." I was not able to to logon at all or even enter the setup. The only way I could access Windows was by booting from the recovery disk. I installed what appeared to be a copy of Windows XP, since I now have two choices listed for Windows XP in the OS choices boot menu. Anyway, after finally logging on, it seems I have lost all of my documents, my USB devices don't work, most of my programs don't work, I am unable to download, unable to install drivers for my basic utilities, I can't access my control panel, my graphics are shoddy, and just for insult, the Windows startup screen which used to only take a few seconds, now takes several minutes before displaying my user accounts. I spoke with a Microsoft technician for 3 hours and accomplished absolutely nothing. If anyone has any idea what the problem could be, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

do you actually have an XP CD or just a rescue disk? I know with a CD you can run a repair on it and sometimes that works. I have never used just a rescue disk, so I wouldn't know. If you have the CD and you still can't get it to work, you might have to go with a reinstall...
another thing that it might be looking for is some BIOS driver of some kind. If you have anything that came with your motherboard, put that in and see if anything happens. That's all I can really think of. Hope that works

The disk I've used is a "Recovery CD-ROM for Windows XP Home Edition," and using this disk, I've tried to reinstall Windows 3 or 4 times with the same negative results. Based on some of the errors I've recieved when tring to use a program or install a driver, it seems that a file or some files may be missing from my registry or possibly corrupted. I would run a registry repair program, except I am not able to download one at this time. :(

if you boot to the original
do you log on or is that dead is that the one thats now slow
and now when logged in to 2nd install is that one messed up too
save all your important work and erase drive reformat and install clean
I have had very little success with the repair console
when you lost the ntldr you may have gotten a bug and it could be like very hard to clean.
if you own a legal xp install
and don't have disc get a copy from internet somewhere or borrow from someone
use your keys to activate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back