TechSpot

Primary drive will not boot... partition problem

By JonnyB
Mar 31, 2007
  1. I did a major oopsie with my PC. I'm running two hard drives - a master IDE drive (my old 60GB) and a newer SATA drive (200GB). I believe these two were set up incorrectly (when I was running my old XP the primary drive was E:/Windows etc)

Now I've upgraded to Vista and it set the 200GB to C:, which is what I wanted. However there were still files on the E: (60GB) drive. Still with me? I noticed that even though Windows said the now SLAVE 60GB drive was blank, I could not format it within Vista. So I used a disk formatting program to wipe it - a dumb idea.

Everything was fine, but when I boot up now it says DISK ERROR - god knows what I did but I think I messed up the partition - why would Vista be storing partition files on a slave drive anyway?

What I think I am going to have to do is install the OS on the 60GB drive, copy all my crap onto it and blank the 200GB and install vista on it again. I need to sort out my jumpers on the Hard disks as well - this problem was caused partly by my ignorance of running SATA and IDE side by side. On the other hand if I can fix the boot partition then my C: should boot vista again - all the files are there so what's the problem??

Worth noting is that even though I had deleted all the files on the 60GB drive when I was running vista on the 200GB (a brighter time for me) - it still would come up with the dual boot screen before starting up into Vista.

Any advice?

*** On further reading, I'm under the impression that if I booted with the XP CD, logged into the recovery console and ran bootcfg /rebuild, it will rebuild the boot.ini and my system might start again?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.