Primary Hard Drive Cannot read 2nd Hard Drive

By The_Watcher_911
Dec 17, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This all started when I used my backup hard drive w/Win2000 (seagate) as Primary & my newer hard drive(Maxtor) w/Win2000 as my slave. I bought a new HDD (Western Digital) & wanted to copy files.

Anyway with my old hard drive as a master I accessed my newer HDD with win2000. The files were like jibberish, folders and files were all named with letters & numbers. Anyway I ran scandisk on it. When I did that the hard drive changed & created a folder of broken file fragments & that's all that was showing on the drive.

I finally created a new OS on my Western Digital and made it my primary & put the messed up Maxtor as a slave. All I saw in the drive was the file folder with file fragments.

HOWEVER the Maxtor HDD says it still has 8+ gigs of data. The problem is I can't see any of the files & they are not hidden. Anyone know the problem & is there anyway to recover these files??

One more problem. I have another hard drive as a slave & sometimes when I bootup the drive is there & sometimes it isn't. Any suggestions?
  2. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

at this point a good file recovery app. is needed

0&0 recovery and file scavenger recovery app. are a few
    this drive may be on the way out
    HDD regen is a application that may fix it up for a while
  3. rover3500

rover3500 Newcomer, in training

Check ide ribbon cables(if that's what u have.i had a prob 4 ages and i eventually traced it to a split in cable.Very hard to detect sometimes,and can cause intermittent probs...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.