TechSpot

Primary hard drive not showing data on it...

By Faisal Ikhlaq
Aug 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello every one! My computer drive E is not showing data and from properties it is shown that data is still there and occupying space. This problem started two days ago when i started my pc and when i opened E there was nothing shown and before it was working properly... kindly help me....

2. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Booster Posts: 527

Use A43 File Manager. This is a replacement for Explorer.

Your files are still there, probably hidden by malware infection

at the CMD prompt type these

E:
    CD /
    ATTRIB -S -H /S /D

3. Faisal Ikhlaq

Faisal Ikhlaq TS Rookie Topic Starter

The command written by you is not working as it is....... and if i enter ATTRIB S /H /S /D this command then it shows invalid path...

4. WinXPert

not ATTRIB S /H /S /D. If your drive is assigned as drive F, replace E: by F: on the above commands

Have you tried A43?

also try to run CHKDSK on all drives: at the CMD prompt type

FOR %A IN (C D E F G) DO CHKDSK %A: /F

5. Faisal Ikhlaq

i have checked my disk and also tried A4. A4 is not showing data and chdsk is ok.....

6. Teranius

Teranius TS Rookie Posts: 138

What OS are you running?

7. Faisal Ikhlaq

Window.... XP 2006

8. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 902   +39

Maybe try booting the computer using one of those Linux live CD and see if the data can be accessed? If so, then backup whatever is important from drive E to another HDD, then proceed w/ troubleshooting. I have wiped a HDD in the past by mistake while troubleshooting, but that was after everything was backed up. Nothing was lost, other than time. Just a thought.

9. Faisal Ikhlaq

k i will try this thing as a last option bcoz LINUX is not user friendly so it takes lot of time and sometimes u lost every thing... for that backup is important.....

10. WinXPert

Try EASEUS Partition Manager

Launch the program, select your faulty HDD and check its partition

11. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

Knoppix is a fairly simple and safe Live CD Linux variant you can use. See How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot. See section 2 for creating the Knoppix CD

Also try Explorer XP.
    > It will show you all folder sizes. Drill down in folders to see what's there
    > I believe it shows hidden files as well (as an experiment, i just created a file and set its "hidden" attribute - but i could see it with Explorer XP)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.