Print server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

princevulpine

I recent received a netbook. I installed a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router (very nice btw). I am running Vista on my PC and XP on my netbook. My Printer is an old LaserJet 6p.
Okay, so I have the router set up just fine, but here is the rub. I set-up a linksys router for my sister-in-law and was able to send docs to the printer without any trouble. My netgear is not as forthcoming with this ability... I assumed all routers assisted with the capacity unequivically...
Am I missing something.
I set my printer up on my PC to be shared. But my netbook can't seem to find it...
What do I need to do?
Any and all help, tips, and links would be appreciated!
I've browsed (googled) but I am not sure if I need to create a print server on my PC or if I am missing something very obvious...
Thanks!

if you wire it like this
Code:
modem---router#1-----router#2
then systems attached to router#2 can reach anything on router#1
BUT not the converse.

remove the cable from the WAN side of router#2 and move it to the LAN side.
login to router #2 and disable the DHCP server.

Router#1 will then control all IP address assignments and all systems will have the same
first three portions of the IP address, eg 192.168.0.x

hmmm...

OKay here is how I have it setup. Pretty standard, not sure if this is what you are refering to...
modem ------ router
There is no router #2. THe reference to another router was simply a sidenote to the idea that some wireless routers seem to make printing wirelssly easier than others. On her linksys router (at her house) the install cd has a program that you install into both the PC and the laptop in order to access files and print wirelessly.
THe netgear software does not seem to have this feature.
I do not know what I need to do to make the netbook "see" the printer attached to my PC...

OKay here is how I have it setup. Pretty standard, not sure if this is what you are refering to...
modem ------ router
There is no router #2. THe reference to another router was simply a sidenote to the idea that some wireless routers seem to make printing wirelssly easier than others.
ok
On her linksys router (at her house) the install cd has a program that you install into both the PC and the laptop in order to access files and print wirelessly.
99% of the time, that CD is useful only for modem+router where a USB cable is used instead of an ethernet cable
THe netgear software does not seem to have this feature.
doesn't need it; I use a netgear router too.
I do not know what I need to do to make the netbook "see" the printer attached to my PC...
on the system with the printer attached, select the printer, right-click->sharing

if that's a printer using a Print Server, the printer will get an IP address.
Once it is connected to the network, use your cp->Printer & Fax->Add Printer and select a 'network printer'

The print server documentation will tell you how to connect to your router and to enter the encryption key

getting closer

When attempting to locate the printer on the network through my netbook, I can get as far as seeing the name of my desktop. But when I click on it, it doesn't show the printer.
I am convinced that I have everything set-up as I have read on the PC end. But the netbook just can't seem to find the printer. I am not sure if I even have a print server. Will the PC automatically act as a print server? Or do I need to install a third party software? Or is there something within the netgear router that needs to be ticked?
I've posted this on the netgear forums as well, hopefully with all this fishing I might catch something!

1) please report the make/model of your printer
2) how and to what does the printer attach

did you enable Print/File sharing on Both systems?

it's working...

Something wasn't enabled correctly with the network... Or perhaps it was the installing of the parellel to usb cable cd. Don't ask me what I did.
As far as your question, the printer is a laserjet 6p and it connects to my desktop via a parellel to usb cable.

Sometimes the firewall on the desktop could be in the way. Try turning it off. Also, some printers connect directly to the router via cat 5 cable or wireless. See if you have an ethernet connection on your printer and connect it to the router, or if you have a wireless printer. If so, then (uninstall and re)install the printer drivers on the netbook choosing "network printer" or something such, after connecting it with cat 5 cable. Perhaps its time for a modern network printer. I recommend a Brother non-laser since cartridges cost half as much as the others and networked printers without print servers go only at 11Mbps. For less than $100 you can have an all in one networked low cost ink printer. Why bother with a messy print server when you need not have that or the desktop powered on to print from the netbook with this arrangement?

Something wasn't enabled correctly with the network... Or perhaps it was the installing of the parellel to usb cable cd. Don't ask me what I did.
As far as your question, the printer is a laserjet 6p and it connects to my desktop via a parellel to usb cable.
A "print server" is a device that connects between the router and the printer to give the printer an IP address.

Your connection is nothing more that Print Sharing of a device directly attached to another system.

SO; RESET your thought process and start looking for
How to enable Print/File Sharing on Vista and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back