TechSpot

Print Spooler will not start

By sol1109
Nov 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Spent about 10 hours trying to resolve a network printing problem on a laptop today and now I am asking for your help. The HP laptop stopped printing with the message "Print Spooler is not running". I tried starting it at services.msc but it will not start. I tried uninstalling the printer from add/remove and could only remove the printer applications but the driver will not uninstall because the print spooler is not running. I tried reinstalling the printer but it will not because the spooler is not running. I tried installing a different printer with the same failure. Microsoft FixIt identified the spooler as not running, tried to start it and it failed immediately. FixIt said it could not help. I checked windows update and it is up to date. Printers work with 4 other pc's on the network. OS: Win 7 Pro

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,317   +618

Treat it as if there are jobs in the print queue that can't be deleted. As I recall you delete the subdirectory in the Spooler directory used for that specific printer.

Try running this troubleshooter

=== Update ===
    Here's another Wizard

3. sol1109

sol1109 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 43

Thank you for your reply jobeard. I had tried that but on your sugestion I retested using the troubleshooter. See the attached file for the results.

Attached Files:

4. jobeard

Data execution prevention.
    I have added the print spooler service to the excluded list and it has solved the problem.

For Win/7 see this

Others, right-click My Computer->Properties>Advanced
    • Select Performance>Settings
    • Select Data Execution Prevention
    • Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select
    • Click Add
    • Paste this in to the file name box of the window that opens:
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    • Select Open
    • Select OK when you receive the warning
    • Select Apply

5. sol1109

When selecting OPEN for spoolsv.exe I get the msg: You can not set DEP attributes on 64 bit executables.

6. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +27

This can happen due to conflicts with IE add-ons, suggest temporarily disabling them, and if this solves it, enabling one by one to identify the culprit.
    Good luck ;)

7. jobeard

hmm; think about this a bit. The Print Spooler is a system level service and gets started at boot time.
    The browser - - any browser - - starts only when the user invokes it and the print server should already be active.
    Therefore, the browser has no interaction to start this service and add-ons are not related.

8. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +27

Ok, sorry sol, the times that this has happened (and were resolved by the above process) were imaginary, and I've made a fool of myself, just ignore me, jobeard will see you right.;)

9. sol1109

Thank you all for your input. After my son completed his finals we decided to perform a complete restore as suggested by HP support. His problem has been resolved. Happy Holidays to ALL.