Printer IP address changing

So I guess I'm not the first with this problem but I cant get it fixed even having read similar posts.

Problem is the wireless network cant find the printer because its IP address keeps changing and I cant figure out how to stop that.

Printer- Brother DCP-1610W
Router- MediaAccess Gateway TG789bvn

Ive tried changing things in the router page, but there it says the printer has no assigned IP address and I cant enter one. No mention of DHCP that I can find either.

Any suggestions?

The right way is to map the MAC address into a fixed ip.
The other is to manually combing the printer with an ip at the high end of the router's range, like x.x.x.250

I'd have said the right way is to fix whatever's preventing the printer being picked up from it's new IP.
Not Quite.

Devices & Printers are under the Control Panel and every device seen there is configured to the IP address at the time the device is created. Reboot and allow DHCP to assign another (aka different) IP address and you will never reach that device.

Using the router Address Reservation system to map a MAC address to a constant IP address will avoid that issue (as will a manual IP setup at he printer itself). Think of the printer as a SERVER - - and all of them always use fixed addresses to ensure all the users can access them BY NAME without the need to delete,reinstall just because the IP address changes.

The home network printers I have experience of do continue to work fine after they're assigned a new IP address. I've never looked into the system but a quick search suggest it's known as services discovery or zero configuration networking, with examples of implementations such as WDS and Bonjour.

@Kimosabe: I believe my HP printer requires multicast turned on to do this, so you could look for that setting in the router.

And Neither WDS nor Bonjour are required for fixed IP addressed devices - - but hey, it will be a learning opportunity.

Back