Printer networking issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonaestet

I have a strange problem, I have two laptops, and a desktop.. all of which are running windows XP. I have a printer plugged into a netgear router, router is plugged into the desk top. the desktop is online wired, the two laptops are wireless. I have set up a printer share in windows xp, the desk top can print, and one of the laptops can print wirelessly but the other one wont find the printer network. I have set up both laptops the same way, but when i search for the network with one it finds it and the other doesn't. Then it gets weird, i took the two laptops to another place, hooked the laptop that finds the printer to a different print, set up a printer sharing network, and the laptop that could not find the other printer sharing network can find the new printer hooked up to the other laptop. So i dont know why the laptop isnt finding the other printer sharing network, the only thing i can figure is that its a setting on the desktop ( which i set up the printer sharing network on) or the router settings. I however did see on another forum that when Mcafe Antivirus expires i can render print sharing useless, and both the problematic laptop, and the desk top both had mcafe on them, which recentually expired. Any suggestions?

if the printer is directly attached to the router, then that is a Networked Printer and it has its own IP address.

If the printer is attached to a system, THEN you need Print Sharing.

Control Panel->Printers->add Printer will get the Add Printer Wizard
add
(*) A network printer or a printer attached to another computer
and here's the difference
  1. Browse for a printer (for a Networked Printer
  2. connect to \\system\sharename (for print sharing)

I have a strange problem, I have two laptops, and a desktop.. all of which are running windows XP. I have a printer plugged into a netgear router, router is plugged into the desk top. the desktop is online wired, the two laptops are wireless. I have set up a printer share in windows xp, the desk top can print, and one of the laptops can print wirelessly but the other one wont find the printer network. I have set up both laptops the same way, but when i search for the network with one it finds it and the other doesn't. Then it gets weird, i took the two laptops to another place, hooked the laptop that finds the printer to a different print, set up a printer sharing network, and the laptop that could not find the other printer sharing network can find the new printer hooked up to the other laptop. So i dont know why the laptop isnt finding the other printer sharing network, the only thing i can figure is that its a setting on the desktop ( which i set up the printer sharing network on) or the router settings. I however did see on another forum that when Mcafe Antivirus expires i can render print sharing useless, and both the problematic laptop, and the desk top both had mcafe on them, which recentually expired. Any suggestions?

Remove McAfee since it expired and if you have genuine copy of XP then go to Microsoft and download Security Essentials for XP. (Antivirus, Antimalware, Antispyware etc.. protection for free) It updates when OS Updates.

Next your problem is simple one. You already know that once remove McAfee the share should appear.

I always did this under XP
Once the network is on the network or domain
Open add printer
click on Local
click on Create a new port (something like that)
Now if you know the name of the printer (prt0000_hplaser4000) or IP address
that's what you type in there
Next step it will asked what type of printer that is make and model
HP 4000
This will pull down the driver either from your server or from Microsoft or if you have a CD just stick it into the drive bay
Once you have point the driver to the printer in question the rest will be done.
Printer should be seen and setup as the default.

If not then there is a problem on the PC in question or the printer might be either offline, unplug or in sleep mode (power saver) Check the printer status go to the printer in person and see. You can also print out a configuration sheet showing the need info for the above installation. I usually would do that by going into the Print menu and select configuration. Might have to take the printer offline to do so. Depends what type of model of printer you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back