Printer setup for XP user profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Techspotters,
I have created a guest user profle and a mandatory user profile in xp. However, the installed printer works for the administrator profile but not for the new user profiles. The Konica-Minolta 1300W print manager suggests a spooler error and re-installing the printer. I have re-installed the printer but it made no difference.
I would very much appreciate some community help.

Try creating an account that is not 'guest' but rather 'limited user'.
Guest accounts don't save settings/preferences so you have to do everything over when you login.

Sorry to cause confusion. The two accounts I have created are a limited user account and a guest account. Both of them produce the same printer error.

Using administer profile, can you find a place where 'permissions' is mentioned for the printer?

This will be in the printer property panels, and you might need to allow 'sharing' and adjust 'security' permissions for lower-level users. This is in XP-pro at any rate.

I cannot say if the same applies to XP-home, but you don't specify which you are using. In general, however, any user should have permission to print. If this suggestion does not work, can you install the printer again using the limited accounts, but giving it another name for them?

I also note that the printer dates from 2006 or earlier, in which case a more recent driver may be available. Another possibility is that MS update can be made to cough up a driver (use windows update and ask it to check hardware).

Success at last. The problem was solved by simply re-installing the printer AFTER creating the user profiles. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back