Printing through a wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wireless router which i use to connect to the internet. I want to network my printer so the laptops connected to this router can print through the wireless medium (i.e. connecting the printer to the router directly). is it possible?

Umm no that wouldnt work. You need a device called a print server to be able to do this. Just search amazon for them. Or you could always make your own i guess if you have a spare computer lieing around.
If you have a desktop pc that the printer is currently connected to you can always make a share of the printer on the dekstop, only problem with this is that desktop must be turned on at all times for the laptop to access the printer.

Attaching the printer using a PRINT SERVER device is great; Any system on the
router can then use it without needing any other system to be running :)

You will need to install the print drivers on every system however.

You will need the print server assuming you printer does not have a network port. (which it probably does not).. Another option is called a wireless print server which connects to the network via Wifi and has several ethernet (wired ports).. This would be useful if you want the printer in a room where there are no wired connections available.. Yet another option is to get a wireless printer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back