Problem accessing the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTrainor

I have started a thread on the networking boards on this issue but I have begun to suspect it is more of an XP problem that I am having.

I have recently attemtped to install a wired LAN between 2 computers, both running XP, with the goal of sharing a cable internet connection. The "local" computer connected fine and the computers were able to share files and a printer, but the "remote" computer could not connect to the internet. I took the ethernet cable from the remote computer out of the router and plugged it directly into the modem with no change [other than the loss of the LAN ;) ]

The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties are each set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" I only entered information under the Alternate Configuation tab so I can at least share files and the printer.

Is there some setting in XP somewhere that I have failed to check that will allow the router to assign an IPA to my computer?

Start-->Run--> inetwiz -->ok

Note between computers use Cross-Over ethernet cable
Computers connected to Router, use Patch ethernet cable

How can I tell the difference? I had my cable made by a local computer shop. They knew that I was using it to connect a computer to a Linksys wired router...

I have just read the Networking 101 guide (which I probably should have done already) and I'm 99.99999% sure they're patch cables. I'm anxiously awaiting the article "What to do when you cannot access the internet from only one computer on a wired network even when you can share files and resources"

On the Patch (yes I agree Patch) remote computer, do this:

Start-->Run--> CMD

On the command line type (copy and paste) each of these lines followed by Enter key:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset

You Rock!!!!!! :D

To kimsland,

I guess I'm breaking some of the guidelines w/ all those exclamation points, but I wanted to convey my appreciation! I figured that since the entire neighborhood for at least ten blocks must have heard my elation, you should be aware as well :D. That completely fixed the problem. I've got full internet now THANKS!! I'm going to copy your fix to the four other boards I've been using to get a solution!! :approve: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back