Problem adding memory

By bubbamura
Jul 31, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been trying to add more memory to my system but not having any luck. I currently have 2 sticks of pc3200/512mb and want to add another 1gig stick but am having problems with it working. I have to press re-set after starting my computer in order for it to boot. I have tried removing the existing memory and only use the the 1gig stick but get the same results. I also tried a high-density stick with the same results, was able to swap that for a low density stick that was supposed to be compatible with all mobo's. Same results. Tried the same thing a year ago with another 512mb stick, same results. The 2 sticks that work great are both different manufacturers, so doesn't seem to be a problem in that regards.
    Here are my specs:
    p4 2.4 gig processor
    via p4pb 400-l mobo
    via apollo px400 chipset (vt8754 & vt8235)
    ati 9600pro video card

Any help/suggestions?
  2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

All Mb's have specific configurations as to which slots are to be used with different numbers of sticks of Ram. Also it is best to use the recommended (tested)brand /type of Ram .
    Go to the Website and confirm this info
    It is never a good idea to mix different sticks , and generic ram is like shooting dice.
  3. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,760

Some older motherboards wont run with more then 1 gig of RAM and some need a BIOS update to do it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.