Problem Adding New Mem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesablo

Hey all, I've got a weird problem when trying to add 2x new DDR 1GB G.Skill pc-3200 sticks. I had 2x 512mb sticks in my comp for a while now, working fine, but when I replaced them with the 2 new 1gb ea. sticks, my comp just starts and then restarts before hitting the windows phase over and over again. It still says 512mb on the start up screen and I just can't seem to get them to work together (ive tried all possible configs). The Gigabyte mobo manual says that slots 1+2 must be filled or 3+4, with no other different configurations for 2 sticks (my boards first 2 slots are purple, last 2 are orange).

I WANT to be able to use all 4, but the 2x 1gb sticks won't even work together. I've tried them both solo, and they work so it's not bad chips, nor bad slots. I don't know much about this, but I have a feeling this may be a bios troubleshooting problem? Either way, any input would be greatly appreciated. These are my specs - Thanks!

My Mobo - GA-939 k8nusli
Old RAM - (512mb ea.) 2x Kbyte DDR pc-400s
NEW RAM - (1gb ea.) 2x Dual Channel G.Skill DDR pc-3200 *edit* (CL2.5-3-3-6 2.6V-2.7V)

put one in the purple and one in the orange if that doesn't work reset you cmos. if you don't know how to pull the battery out wait for 10 secs and put it back go into BIOS and load all setup defaults

Check the RAM voltage in the BIOS to make sure it is set to what the RAM requires.

ok thank you very much for the responses - but I havent tried anything YET because im not too sure how to find those things in the bios, if you could explain how i'd appreciate it...also I don't know the timings on the 512 because they are pretty old, but either way just using the 2 1gbs would be better than my current 1gb. Thanks again!

insoman said:
put one in the purple and one in the orange

oh ya and I just wanna clear up that I did try that, and ya that prevented the comp from starting up - I def. don't know how to restart the CMOS (don't know what that is), but you said to try to pop the lil circular mobo battery out? I guess I'll try that

dont do it if it stops the computer from booting. you might try looking under 'cpu settings' in the BIOS you should find 'DRAM settings' somewhere. dont forget to load setup defaults when you've pulled and replaced the battery

ok, well i tried taking the battery out and putting it back loading the setup defaults, but it didnt work - I see a DRAM settings in the bios when i look but it only gives me an "enabled/disabled" option there, no voltage or anything

Doesn't your BIOS have a Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) page? If so, there is a DDR voltage control option. If I have the right manual, I'm looking at page 49 of the manual.

ah-hah! i've figured out that gigabyte hides all the good options and you have to press ctrl+f1 to see them, thats why I was so confused - I havent tried yet, but I will now

Wesablo said:
ah-hah! i've figured out that gigabyte hides all the good options and you have to press ctrl+f1 to see them, thats why I was so confused - I havent tried yet, but I will now

ok....scratch that -

mailpup said:
Doesn't your BIOS have a Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) page? If so, there is a DDR voltage control option. If I have the right manual, I'm looking at page 49 of the manual.

no, it does not have the M.I.T. in it when you open it initially, but "supposedly" it's hidden and ctrl+f1 reveals hidden options, but now i've tried that and all it does it flash the screen and add nothing....what gives?

In the BIOS do you have a heading called "PC Health Status"? MB Intelligent Tweaker is right under that.

Is this your motherboard? GA-K8N Ultra-SLI

hmmm there DEFINITELY is no M.I.T. section on my bios....well, I could be wrong, but I think maybe I have to upgrade it? I know nothing about bios and all this stuff but apparently on this page http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=1867 it shows different releases of bios, and going through my bios so many times I noticed I have the "f1", which is first release I guess? could this be the problem? I see caution signs all over and im a lil afraid to mess with anything, even though I have a bit alrdy

and yes thats my exact mobo

if you are going to flash your BIOS ..the only thing you have to remember is when flashing DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO. otherwise get the correct and precise instructions on how to do so. These are the only real cautions you should adhere to as even if you name the file incorrectly or something it will not fash. I.E it (mobo) has some built in defences.

well, if im going to do it I want to know that it will fix my problem, which is not having the M.I.T. section in my bios

On the Gigabyte page you linked to there is a link to the mobo manual. That is the manual I've been looking at. It's revision 1004. Anyway, I don't know if this will fix your problem for sure.

You could try using the free CPU-Z standalone program to see what voltages are set for your RAM. If the voltage is within the range recommended by the RAM manufacturer (2.6-2.7 volts), then that is probably not your problem. If the voltage is wrong (too low, for example), then flashing the BIOS to a later version to enable you to make change to the voltage might be the solution.

Okk, so - when I look in CPU-Z under the SPD tab, under the "Timings Table" box it says Frequency-200mhz // CAS# Latency 2.5 // RAS# to CAS# 3 // RAS# Precharge 3 // tRAS 6 // and for the Voltage its at 2.5V ......dunno if thats just enough or maybe just out of the range. Thats all I see regarding the voltage of the RAM - Id just like to say thanks very much to you both for sticking around and helping me out!! And I thought installing RAM was supposed to be easy? hah

just one works fine, just as good as my old 2x 512mbs - once I put two of the 1gbs it constantly restarts and doesn't get past the bios startup screen, nor a 1gb+512mb for that matter

Some RAM are tolerant of a little under voltage but some may not be. Perhaps this one needs more than 2.5V. It's recommended voltage is 2.6V-2.7V according to your first post. It might be ok with one stick but with two it's unstable with the under voltage. I don't really know though.

which slot did you put just the one Gskill in and which slots (combinations) have you tried with the two Gskills in? These are dual channel so you can (unless your MOBO is different) only run the two on each separate channel. One in each. we need to find out if which is which on the MOBO and which colour represents which.

well, on my board its starting closest to my cpu 2 orange slots, then 2 purple slots after that - in the manual it says that the first orange slot is my DDR1, next orange is DDR2, first purple is DDR3 and so on. When I start my comp up with 1 stick I always put it in the DDR1. I tried putting one in the DDR1 and the other in the DDR3, but it won't start. Also I've tried one in the DDR1 and one in DDR2 but that doesn't work either.

do you have any literature on which colour (or slot) represents which channel. i.e channel 1 maybe No 1 slot and No 2 slot represented by the two different colours. or it maybe No 1 slot and No 3 slot etc etc..?

Heres what I found in the manual:

The motherboard supports DDR memory modules, whereby BIOS will automatically detect memory
capacity and specifications. Memory modules are designed so that they can be inserted only in one direction.
The memory capacity used can differ with each slot.

Due to CPU limitation, if you want to operate the Dual Channel Technology, please follow the guidelines
below for Dual Channel memory configuration.
1. Dual Channel mode will not be enabled if only one DDR memory module is installed.
2. To enable Dual Channel mode with 2 memory modules (it is recommended to use memory
modules of identical brand, size, chips, and speed), you must install them into DIMM sockets
of the same color.
3. To enable Dual Channel mode with 4 memory modules, it is recommended to use memory
modules of identical brand, size, chips, and speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back