PROBLEM: Cable Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here is a diagram..I hope it helps.

Cable.jpg

1) Main Cable Line Goes directly into cable box (The reason for this is because I have 2 TV's that need to share the one box).

2) Wire Out of cable box gets split (Splitter 1)

3) One wire goes into TV 1 (in living room)

4) One wire goes into bedroom where it connects with Splitter 2 (I need to split the wire because I need to connect it to both TV 2 & My Cable Modem....this is a seperate room than where TV 1 is).

PROBLEM: TV1 and TV2 both work fine. I am able to use the cable box for both and its great. The problem is that my cable modem is not getting a signal. What can I do? I know this is a crude drawing so please excuse the appearance, but hopefully someone can give me help with how to get everything working. Please ask questions if you don't fully get it. I figure this is a networking problem because my cable modem isn't working. If this should be in a different section of the forum, or a different forum all together, please let me know. Thank you all for your help.

there are some pretty adept networking people at computerhope.com
go into the new forum and post in networking problems, not trying to steer you away from here at all but, if you need quick help might give them a glance. They just changed servers and are having some issues, if you can't post there , say so and I'll c & p your post for you and give it a try.

Im confused ...

Why is a cable modem part of a network consisting of 2x T.V's?

Oh ... cable internet and cable T.V ... I see, I see!
Try testing your modem while the T.V's cable is not plugged in or on. Does it work then?

you will need to run the cable modem back to where it is getting a signal and also try to place it closest to the source. Everytime you split, the line degrades.

mikescorpio81 said:
Im confused ...

Why is a cable modem part of a network consisting of 2x T.V's?

Oh ... cable internet and cable T.V ... I see, I see!
Try testing your modem while the T.V's cable is not plugged in or on. Does it work then?

Yes it does work then....the problem seems to be coming from the 2nd split. Any ideas how I can do what I am looking to do and still get my modem to work? Thanks for the reply.

Tedster said:
you will need to run the cable modem back to where it is getting a signal and also try to place it closest to the source. Everytime you split, the line degrades.

Yes you are completely right. How can I do this...will I have to have a separate direct line to the cable modem and then a separate like that goes to the box and then gets split to the TV's

Take Teds advice ... put the cable modem closest to the source and splitters after that. Can you eliminate 1x splitter or do you require there be 2?

You are channeling bandwidth and ultimately losing some towards the end. There isn't much you can do except spend more instead of splitting.

Or is there? ....

from main line to spliter
-----------------------to modem
----------------------- 2 tv on
look up info on boasters if you can't do this

my line comes in a short 5 ft then split then to another line that again splits to 3 tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back