Problem connecting to Wi-Fi router

milostuvic

[FONT=Georgia]Hi there I have a problem. I use a tp-link wr340g wifi router. I can connect to it with my nokia phone, laptop and have no problem at all there (it uses window 7). But when I want to connect to the same router from my pc using a wifi usb adapter it sort of connects, but its very slow (to the point it takes it several min to open google) and it frequently disconnects (evry few minutes) and cant find the network. although its well within range.(running window 7 on the pc as well and the usb adapter works I tried it with a diferent pc)[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]Thanks I advnce.[/FONT]

Make sure that when you are using the USB-WiFi, that you have disconnected the laptop from the router first.
You can not have two connections on the same system to the same router. Several things will cause the first
connection to dominate the traffic flow.

I tried disconnecting the laptop and with nothing connected to the router but the pc (via the wifi usb adapter) I still get the same problem that it is very slow and breaking up.

Try the adaptor on your laptop. Turn off the laptop built-in wifi while doing it, see what happens.

When I put the usb adapter into my laptop (with the laptops wifi off) it worked with no problem at all, I could connect easily there was a full signal and the net was fast. But put it back into the pc and the same problem again. I took the pc to be serviced for this reason thinking there is something wrong with it (its hardware) because its under warrenty, but when they pluged the usb in it worked just fine at their place and connected to their wifi.

Have you tried using other front panel usb ports or other motherboard usb ports?

also, if the usb wifi adapter has an external antenna, try to rotate it to get the best possible signal from the main tp-link wifi router.

You're NOT trying to use a USB HUB for the wifi are you? DON'T

Thanks again. I am not using a usb hub, I plug the usb adapter into the pc directly. I tried it using all the usb ports on the pc but with the same results. (the usb doesn't have an antenna)

Try changing your router's wifi security to wep or wpa-personal or open and check how it does. You may also try disabling QoS setting of your router.

I tried with the wep - wpa key on and off and nothing changed. I think Qos (Quality of service) is off I think aldough I am no expert on that matter. Is that something I find on the routers homepage (192.168.1.1) If it is its not there so I guess its off.

I seem to have fixed the problem. I bough a new usb adapter with an antenna and its working for now. The internet is fast, it does still disconnect sometimes (rarely) for still an unknown reason but I can reconnect within a matter of seconds. I will report back if the problem returns. Thanks again for all your help

Back