Problem creating memtest86+ cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanmaker

Having got a problem booting up a Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop, I've taken advice from elsewhere on Tspot to test the memory with memtest86+, among other things.
The laptop has a floppy drive so I tried creating a floppy version first but with no result, so I checked the disk on another pc and it worked ok.

However, not knowing if the bios was setup for floppy or cd first, I tried to make a cd version.

I downloaded the iso file and burned it first on my Toshiba laptop running XP2, using the installed xp burning prog.
As this didn't work on any of my systems( I did reset the boot up order for each in turn) I concluded that the xp burner may not do the necessary.
So I tried re burning with Nero Express, using it to produce a data copy.
This doesn't work in any of my systems either, so I'm at a loss as to how to make this cd.
I've read several other posts looking for an answer, but haven't found one yet.
Grateful for any help,
John

You need to burn it as an image (assuming you have downloaded the .iso). It's not going to work by burning it as a standard data CD.

Hi Zenosincks.
In Nero Express there is an option for image, but when I click on that it tells me that the iso file isn't acceptable, or words to that effect. It seems to want the file to be an Nero image already before it will copy it !
Regards
John

Blargh, I'm not on Windows at the moment to access Nero Express and check the exact procedure but when you open you should see a folder icon (I think it's on the left for me) with the word "Image" included in the description. Click that, and then choose to select the image, navigate to the .iso, and you should be golden.

You can also other software, such as "Instant CD & DVD Burner", which is free.

Or CDBurnerXP Pro which is also free. Zeno is correct though, you can't burn as a data cd, you have to burn as an image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back