Problem in Windows XP Start Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a Problem in Windows XP. After surfing in the net (Probably some virus may attacked) and by restarting the computer, i couldn't able to able to see the windows screen. The Windows scrren was empty and no icons (My computer, Recyclebin, etc). I can able to surf the internet only through the "Task Manager" (under New Task).

- Is my computer affected thro virus?
- Do i have to format my system?
- If i have to format, then how?

Does anyone have solution?

Thanks & Regards

To rule out or to fix any malware or viruses go HERE and download the suggested programs.

Then download the manual update files. Here is the manual update for Malwarebytes

and here is the manual update file for Super anti spyware

Then restart your computer into safe mode. There are a couple of ways to get into safe mode:

1: Restart your computer, after the bios POST screen tap F8 and select safe mode from the list

2: Click start--->run--->type msconfig and click OK or press enter and the system configuration window opens. Click the BOOT.ini tab and tick the box beside safeboot then click ok. You will be asked to restart your computer. Click restart and your computer will start in safe mode.

If you do option 2, after you are finished with safe mode Click start--->run--->type msconfig and click OK or press enter and the system configuration window opens. On the General tab put the dot in normal startup and click ok..you will be prompted to restart your computer..click restart and your computer will start normally.

Once in safe mode install the programs then run the manual update files then do the scans.

After everything has finished post back here with the logs and we will be more than happy to look them over for you.

I agree with the above, but al so try this

Go to Normal Mode (without the Desktop)
Go to Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del)
File-> Run-> explorer.exe
Hopefully your Desktop comes back

Either way, also do this:

Check the Shell value for Winlogon in your registry (file->run->regedit). Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
should show:

Shell REG_SZ explorer.exe

Or download this tool: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip
This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

Thanks for the update :grinthumb
Just out of interest, which way did you go? Manual Registry editing or the XP_FixLogon tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back