Problem installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok the other day I bought some new hardware to upgrade my computer. I have the new intel quad 9450 and motherboard etc. The problem is that when I go to install windows xp it will boot from CD and allow me to format a drive and set a partition up. It goes through and installs the installation files but once it resets it doesnt continue to install. It just does the whole process over again or just reboots on its own never doing anything. All the drives I have are sata drives. I have tried booting from the hardrive once the installation files have been installed. THat did not work either. Anyway I was hoping maybe someone here could give me some advice on how to get it installed.

Thanks for the help!

Jason

I am doing a clean fresh install. Its not allowing me to repair anything when I tried it. It just keeps rebooting once it installs the initial installation files to the drive.

Oh yer! Sorry most here are repairs.

Anyway, is this a Sata HDD or ATA?

Actually...

Please put your System Specs in your Profile

If you have a proprietory computer like Dell; HP; Acer etc, please manually write this in the mobo field (ie Dell Dimension 3100 - as an example)

Waiting for specs ...

updated my specs

Gigabyte EP45-DS3R Motherboard

Intel Quad E9450

GeForce 8800 GTS OC

2GB DDR2 Memory

Raptor hardrives- SATA DRIVES

Windows Xp Pro CD

Raptor hardrives- with an s

Can you unplug all unnecessary addons, like:
2nd HDD (from M/b end)
Addon Video card (if you have onboard)
Any other PCI card plugged in

Also try with 1 Gig of Ram (ie one card out)

Also you don't need to create a Partition, just remove the old one, and setup Windows (the partition (and format) will be done automatically)

One other idea, is to load CMOS (ie BIOS or Setup) defaults

Please try that

I tried doing that already:( I only have one drive hooked up right now. The bios is at default. Not sure but its something up with xp not wanting to work correctly. I get through all the steps even to loading the install files and reboot. The problem is that when it reboots its supposed to start the actual installing of windows but instead it wants to go format my drive and reinstall the installation files again over and over? Just cant figure out why?

I know it sounds like you know what you're doing

But do you mean, that when it restarts that it runs the CD again? (I hope you're not saying that!)

You must let it load Windows Setup not the CD again after restart

It's just that I have never seen Windows want to format, half way through.

Have to say this a new one to me, i have never seen windows wanting to format again after doing so before installation, i dont see it being a issue with windows not seeing the HDD drive to go to the next stage as it wouldn't format the drive the first time around if there was, if the installation disk was damaged in some way it would just end not repeat the process again, are you sure your letting windows reset itself and go on to the next stage your not ejecting the disk or anything which is all i can think of that would restart the process again.

Have you tried to install the same software on other hardware? At least to determine where the reason is in the hardware or software?

If there were hardware issues it would just stop same goes for the installation CD itself it wouldn't repeat the format and preapare stage over again, at least i have never seen that happen and i have done a fair few Windows Xp installs.

Ram in slots 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4)?

You have boot order floppy, cd/dvd, hd ?

You have Sata Raid and AHCI disabled ?

You have Sata Port 0-3 Native Mode enabled ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back